These Nitrates are Killing me.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GNarnian

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys so I need some extra advice it seems. I've had my 120 gallon tank set up, cycled, and running since the end of february. I'm running a Fluval Fx5 canister filter. The tank has driftwood and a few low light plants.
Ammonia:0
Nitrites:0
Nitrates:40-80+
pH: 7.4-7.6
I'm using the API test kit, and the pH is between the high and low range.
Temp: approx 79 degrees F

For stock, I have a wild assortment:
6- blushing high fin tetras
5- zebra danios
3- sunburst wags
1- black ghost Knife (4 inches or so at the moment)
2- eclipse catfish (both 4 inches or a bit less)
1- common pleco (lake monster size)
4- common goldfish (largest is 6 inches smallest is 4)
1- bamboo shrimp
2- apple snails

I know that this stock is not ideal for full sized fish. The goldfish are on their way out! We are finally getting a pond in the backyard. :)

Additionally, the goldfish have been in this temperature water for years, they are well acclimated to it and seem perfectly happy.

I do 50% water changes every other day in this tank, sometimes 75% and I still can't seem to get the Nitrates below 20ppm. Is this a simple overstocking problem, do I not have enough filtration? I'm trying to get more plants in there to absorb the excess nitrates, but goldfish love the roots. Haha

Am I missing something or do I just have poop machines?

Well, you do have a few fairly dirty fish in there, but I am not sure I would call it drastically overstocked.

Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? It is not uncommon to find 20+ ppm nitrates in tap water, especially if you live in a rural area/community or near any agriculture.

Have you tried cleaning out your canister filter? I know it hasn't been running long, but if you don't clean them out regularly, they become nitrate factories.

I have actually cleaned it once before already. (2 weeks ago) and I came home and cleaned it again, because I actually read just today that they can be nitrate factories.But this time there were live red worms in the filters! -___-

I was grossed out to say the least.

ForumRunner_20120502_190248.jpg

Where did these come from and what are they? They almost look like mosquito larvae.

I think bloodworms are mosquito larvae.
Anyways hopefully they don't hatch 0_0.
What type of substrate do you have?

I have a gravel substrate. Looking around some other forums, it seems to be midge larvae, which are harmless and fish love them. But it was something I don't ever want to see again!

Anyway, I have gravel, and I stir upto and vacuum a section when I do water changes, but my nitrates are still high

well I've read from two sources that theyrr mosquito larvae and one that "true" bloodworms are some other fly larvae. Anyways hopefully you don't end up having them flying around the house.

Do you keep your gravel nice and clean?

Yeah apparently it's Midge fly larva, which looks like a mosquito but doesn't bite.... weird.

I use a gravel vac every other day on the surface, and when I do a water change I stir up a section. So the gravel stays clean.... I even have tried putting duckweed in there to soak up the nitrates but the goldfish eat it all. Apparently it's a snack attack for them. :)

fort384 said:
Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? It is not uncommon to find 20+ ppm nitrates in tap water, especially if you live in a rural area/community or near any agriculture.

I just tested my tap water. Looks like it's between 10 and 20ppm.

Back
Top Bottom