They just won't go away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Some members may remember that I had a serious problem with my 30 gal some time ago. A mysterious ph crash occurred and it wasn't until I removed and cleaned out my HOB that I found the cause. There were several dead snails trapped under the plastic media holder. 8O

My niece had mistakenly dropped a (or more?) ramshorn snails into it. Well, I removed those, got the filter back to normal and the tank has been fine for the past couple of months.

This morning, while feeding, I looked around the tank and to my ultimate surprise...there are several more ramshorns in there...a couple laying on the gravel...two climbing the rear wall...arggggghhhhhhhh!!!!

Keep in mind, everything in the tank had been removed and inspected/cleaned other than the gravel, which has been vaccumed weekly.

I'm sure I'm going to find many more when I get into the tank. Ironic as my schedule shows that filter maintenance is due.

These guys/gals (since they're asexual) are really resilient...I have the evidence to back that up. :)

I hear you, I am battling snails in 2 of my tanks and one of my son's tanks. I keep taking them out, they keep coming back. My sympathy to you for the frustrating snail experience! :zook: snails

They can be...but I've actually lost my whole ramshorn population in my 20 gallon tank. I thought I was feeding enough, but apparently not (planaria seem to be better at getting to the food than ramshorns). I still have some in my shrimp tank, but very few. You may have more food available to them than you realize...

I want some snails but I cant really get any and when i do they dont breed lol.

you don't want these snails! They get into everything and cause all sorts of problems. I've heard of people putting a penny in their tank for a while and this is supposed to help, but I would guess it would harm any shrimp you have. Plus, I'm a little weary of that idea anyway. Not sure why, but it gives me a bad feeling...go figure.

I agree with Piscesgirl, you might have more excess food than you think.

I want them in one of my empty tanks just so ic an feed them to my puffers i.e. there teeth lol.

I had a population explosion of ramshorn snails in my 29 gallon tank so I took the opportunity to get a South American puffer. It keeps the snails in check and I only have to remove snail shells every once in a while. Of course I do have to trim the teeth of the puffer every so often ...

the penny in the tank trick is based upon copper being toxic to invertebrates. That is why copper can be used for invertebrate parasites such as ich. I just don't know if pennies are still made of copper, or if significant copper levels can be acheived by dropping one into the tank. Any comments?

If your fish won't eat it sink a piece of cucumber in the bottom of the tank at night. The snails will flock to it like moths to the flame. Or you could get some clown loachs and they will eat them pretty quick dunno about compatability with your fish I would say probably not.

My 20 gallon still has them too, even after I added the 2 yo yo loaches. :roll:

i don't suggest adding copper, or any of those snail killing chemicals. they cause more problems than they a worth. I had a snail problem, and a clown loach or two will fix the problem quick. Once all the snails are gone you can just feed the shrinp pellets. they are colorful and very entertaining. good luck with your snail battle

That brings up another question. My wife has partially taken over this tank and wants to convert it to a fancy guppy and molly tank.

I have 4 skirted tetras and a rather large apple snail in it at the moment. I'm not absolutely sure she wants any loaches in the tank (she doesn't like their appearance). Are these guys ok as tankmates?

Back
Top Bottom