Thicklip Rainbow Gourami hybrid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drsendero

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I just came across a "Thicklip Rainbow Gourami." The only information I can find on it is that it's a hybrid and that it is new.
Does anyone know anything about this fish? Is it a hybrid of T. labiosa and T. fasciata, for example?

Thanks!

I couldn't find anything about the rainbow thick lip gourami hybrid on that site. Does anybody know anything about the parentage of this fish?

I have 2 males in my tank and they get along great, are very pretty, get along with all of my other fish. They love blood worms, daphnia and live black worms for treats and readily eat flake. I bought mine as dwarf rainbow thicklip hybrid

Yes, it is a pretty fish. The dealer had two males, and I picked up one of them and he seems to be a happy little guy, just a little over an inch long. Now that you say you bought yours as "dwarf" I'm wondering if these are a hybrid of thick lip and dwarf gourami. The coloration makes sense. How long have you had yours and how big are they?

Here are pics of mine. I've had them for about 3 or 4 months and they are about 1.5-2 inches

Attachments

• image-3180559701.jpg
    image-3180559701.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 91
  • image-989467846.jpg
    image-989467846.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 92
Yes, those two look much like the little guy I have except that the blue isn't quite so showy yet. He's still pretty young, and he's so cute as he very peacefully swims in the plants picking at algae. Always inquisitive.

I'm thinking these are definitely T. labiosa & T. lalia hybrids. The term "rainbow" led me at first to think it was a T. labiosa & T. fasciata (aka rainbow gourami) hybrid. I googled "thick lip gourami dwarf gourami hybrids" and came up with this site that doesn't have a picture of the hybrid but says that they are all sterile males: Dwarf Gourami, Dwarf Banded Gourami, Colisa lalia, Family: Osphronemidae, Subfamily: Luciocephalinae . If these guys are immune to the dwarf gourami disease, they will certainly be winners. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Yeah, it's weird how blue they looked in m pic because they aren't really blue at all, mostly that orange/red color. Good luck and I hope you do well with him, they are awesome little fish :)

Back
Top Bottom