Things aren't going so well....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fandsw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, it's not going so well, here is a recap from the beginning:

New 72g bowfront, 3 inches of flourite put in 3 weeks ago, 20+ live plants planted the 13th, fish added with 3 oz bio-spira on the 14th. Lost a few neons and serpae to start (came from one source shipped, possible stress) but all others from my old tank and the other sources were doing fine. 78F, 7.6 ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate. Looked like the bio-spira worked. Then I noticed a red-eye with a half dozen ich spots the 18th, who was quickly removed.

Here are the tank inhabitants:

20+ live plants
1 2.5" gold nugget pleco
5 1.5" clown loaches
4 albino cories (1 full grown, 3 babies)
2 1.5" otos
3 neon tetras
8 glo-light tetras
8 red-eye tetras
3 sword tails
3 platies
8 guppies
a few guppy fry (one of the guppy ladies REALLY liked the new tank! )

Started Rid-Ich+ with water change the 19th & 20th, saw no other fish with any Ich, and did not treat the 21st, as the instructions said 3 days without problems to stop . At this point on a water test I saw slight increases in the Nitrite levels (0.5) & Nitrate (20), as well as an increase of green algae on the glass & driftwood.

Came home this evening, the 21st.......1 clown loach dead (not unexpected, only 5 of the 6 were really active, one always hid) as well as one oto. Nitrites up to 1.0, Ammonia up slightly (0.5-1.0), remaining clown loaches look lethargic, one looks pale with small white spots.....more ich. I've also got a male swordtail who had an injured fin that is now turning into finrot (sp?). Rest of the fish look ok, the glolights seem to look a little duller that usual, but that just might be me. KH (100) and GH (75) have stayed constant.

I immediately changed 10% of water and restarted RI+. The RI+ always seems to liven up the livebearers, I'm figuring the salt in the RI+ is doing that.

My dilemma: what now? Obviously the RI+ is affecting the bacteria of the tank, as is evidenced by the ammo/nitrite/nitrate changes, so how can I combat that? More bio-spira? Continue the RI+, or swap to the heat treatment in combo with new bio-spira to combat nitrite/nitrate changes?

I'm open to suggestions..... can go to the local PetSuppliesPlus in the morning, they are fairly well stocked with treatments.

Thanks in advance,

Frank

Ugh. Ich is a PITA.

Some thoughts/suggestions.

You'll find most folks here avoid meds if they can. As you're finding out, meds cause a host of problems. They muck up the nitrifying bacteria colony. They are dangerous to scaleless fish. And the instructions on most ich meds suck.

I would suggest raising the temps to above 86F over the next 2 days. Looking at your list of fish they should be able to handle the higher temps for the 2 weeks it should be used (as long as they are not hugelt weakened; then any treatment may be an issue). Once you reach 86F, can the RidIch+. This way, you can water change at will without messing with med levels. I wouldn't add Bio-Spira until you are no longer using meds, whether you decide to go the route I suggest or use the meds for the entire treatment; the chemicals will simply kill the bacteria in the Bio-Spira.

Did you read the article I wrote on Ich, what it is and what to do about it? If not, go to the articles section and check it out; it may answer some of the questions you haven't thought to ask yet as well as explain some of the treatment options :)

Thanks for the quick reply Alli.....doing the heat treatment is how I'm leaning also, just hope the plants live. Anything I can do in the mean time to control the nitrite/nitrate levels? Got the water heater bumped to 81 as we speak......

Thanks again,

Frank

Allivymar is the Ich Slayer!!!!!!! :rocket:

I unsuccessfully tried Kordon Formalin-3 to eradicate ich from my 58 gal. It didn't affect my biofilter, but it was ineffective and expensive. I can only imagine what it must cost to treat 72 gal!

I read Allivymarls ich article and had great success battling ich using the heat treatment alone - no salt, no meds. Just make sure your heater is up to the task - 72 gallons is alot of water to heat to 88F. You may find it necessary to add a temporary heater to get the job done.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom