Things I hate about my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottw68TN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
1) My magnum 350 pro. Thats right, I have decided I don't like it. It constantly makes me worry its going to leak its a good diatom but for everyday use I like the emperor 440 much better and they are easier to service / maintain. Its already up for sale!

2) Fine sand. Sorry Alli I just couldn't take it any more. I think I was just to lazy at stirring it up. Many areas would get missed and black pockets would develop below the white oxygenated surface. I would only dicover such pockets while I was stirring it up. 3 problems with this it looked bad, it smelled bad, and it is bad TOXIC hydrogen sulfide. I have a very coarse black sand in a small tank now and it seems very different. I may like this stuff more.

3) Bubble walls. They are a pain to deal with on a 75. They ultimately pop up out of the gravel begin to clog and the air pump wont shut up!

4) Albino Frog. Just looks wierd!

5)My light hood. Plastic 1 bulb 4 foot long light hood. enough said.

I like my tanks but I just have a few issues. As you can see I changed a few things lately in order to diminish the things I dislike (sand, filter) but as for most of us its a metamorphasis. What do you Hate!

A long tube that creates a bubbles all the way down it. when put in a straight line usually along the back of the tank it makes a wall of bubbles. Looks cool sometimes and helps with the gas exchange at the surface.

I like bubble walls I have one in my 70 but I hate it when they keep popping out like you said! hehe

Ummm..... how much you want for your magnum? :)

Oh also I didn't like this great big pink kissing gourami I had, he was just a butt. I sold him along with my guppy overflow to get some more clown loaches which are the coolest fish ever. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Heh no apologies necessary Scott; I like the sand in my planted tank but its not the really fine stuff. Plus, it keeps the plants from floating away LOL the plec in the 55g pulls up everything I tried to stick in the gravel...all my 55g plants are in pots now. Have to admit I don't use bubble walls; the HOB filters seem to do well enough aerating (plus the plants help).

What do I hate? The fact I have NO skill in interior tank decor. My 55g looks stupid. My 10g looks great, but that cause the easy plants all died and the difficult plants are growing great (go figure), so it looks very natural compared to the big tank. Don't ask me how I'm gonna set up my 25g salt tank..it'll prob look like the waters off Coney Island LOL Mr502go showed me a pic of his tanks last nite and I realised I am too obsessed with making the stuff "even". Maybe if I actually GO for that look (beer cans and junk) I might be able to do something with it ;)

I hate the splashing noise of my HOB filter. My tank is right outside my bedroom door, and I have to keep my door shut at night... otherwise, the sound of running water all night long will keep me running to the bathroom! :oops:

LOL My tanks with their noisy HOB filters are in my home office. What a distraction - I end up staring at my fish all day, and when I'm not staring, I'm in the bathroom!

the thing i hate the most about my tank is that my fish wont let and snails live in the tank too clean the algae :( so now i have too sick my hand in there and clean away,i got bit today doing it :)

Tigerlily said:
I hate the splashing noise of my HOB filter. My tank is right outside my bedroom door, and I have to keep my door shut at night... otherwise, the sound of running water all night long will keep me running to the bathroom! :oops:

The Betta tank, which has the noisiest filter, is right by my bed..a foot from my head.

I also have two other tanks in my room.

I sleep in the living room now. 8O

I actually find the hum of hob comforting :p But I've lived around electroinc hums of various sorts for years so go figure :p Pure silence actually makes it harder for me to sleep.

This is great info. My hob are quiet enough and I like the trickle sound from the biowheels. The magnum is already at 49.99 on ebay> If you guys went to chat at night you could of got it cheap I offered it up but the saltys are broke frome buying expensive fish! :wink:

The only thing I really hate about my tank is that it's too small :p

My apt manger stopped by today, and complimented my lil 10 gal set-up, so I feel pretty good about it (she's got a 55 gal she recently coverted to FW)). She said she's jealous that my pleco is so social...apparently hers is a hider!

I hate the red, raw creases on my forearms from always having a hand down in one tank or another! (Especially on my 12-gal Eclipse - if the lid is up for me to get my hand in, the light is no longer getting into the tank and I can't see...)

I also hate visible hoses, heaters and cords. I am very good with the use of decorations to hide such unsightly things!

I also hate that I am going to be replacing carpet soon and will have to move a 55 and a 44. 8O

I hate the fact that my QT tank is in my room with a noisey filter, the trickle dosnent matter but the motor rattles!!

And I hate how my goldie is still fat as a baseball and everytime someone see's her they flip out and want to grab her.

I don't think there is anything i don't like about this hobby, Oh! yah there is, Putting the closed sign up in the store. I Loooooooooooooooooooooooove this hobby.

I hate the fact that I don't have enough room for another bigger tank so I can have more fish! I just saw an awsome 90gal at Big Als, I want a chichlid tank, and a brackish tank now!!!! I love this hobby too! :onfire:

I hate that I don't have enough money to buy bigger tanks so I can worry about not having enough room. :)

I hate getting a brand new XP3 cnaister filter (first one) after much hassle of setting it up in a ghetto stand, have it run, then hearing a pebble in the motor sound and not know how to fix it :cry: - if any of you fine poeple wants to be a hero, by all means tell me how to fix this beast and kudos to you! 8O

Back
Top Bottom