Things that petsmart employees should know.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah..they had bags all over the display today when I got there and still had several boxes to go...I guess its one thing for someone to do a drip at home when there are only a few fish..whole different ball game with hundreds of fish after a day or so in a box from shipping...still looked funny and I know they were expecting me to say something *grin* I always chit chat when I go in

I recently got a job as a pet care associate at petsmart. My co workers are amazing and are pretty knowledgable about the fish and pets we sell.

*no we don't use the fish per gallon, or anything else like that or putting fish in a bowl. Or pairing aggressive fish with community.

We all have fish tanks of our own at our homes lol, and one of my co workers has 7! ;)

I want this thread to be positive and nice, nothing negative about large chain stores.

But I wanted to collect some common info about fish keeping that would be useful when talking to customers and etc....

At the store I work at we don't carry any salt water... We do carry....

Common tropical freshwaters
Chichlids
Gold fish
Betas
Fire belly toads
Ghost shrimp
Crabs
African dwarf frogs
Mystery snails

Don't take me wrong, I know about fish, but I thought it would be a great idea to get ideas from a group of people, in case I missed anything.

Any advice for me getting a job at petsmart? They said they will call me for an interview as soon as they hear back from 2 other people. What did you say to get the job? I want it soo badly! :eek:.

Also I'd brush up on memorizing fish types including what goldfish types petsmart includes as "fancy goldfish". Last time I got a goldfish there they miss-sold me an oranda as a lion head even though I argued. I didn't care I guess even though there was a $20 price difference. I HAD to have the all white goldfish!

Luckily my roommate is great friends with the manager they worked together in the past.... The manager was looking for people to work in pet care with exp. and my roommate told her about all my past pets, my current job a vet clinic and how I was in school for vet med...

I interviewed twice and got hired in the spot at the second one. I just explained my passion and care for animals.... Just be yourself....

Can you describe the average work day at petsmart? I would also like to know how the interview process was for you and what sort of questions you were asked? I don't want the thread to get off topic so if you want to pm me that would be great! Nice thread btw

Luckily my roommate is great friends with the manager they worked together in the past.... The manager was looking for people to work in pet care with exp. and my roommate told her about all my past pets, my current job a vet clinic and how I was in school for vet med...

I interviewed twice and got hired in the spot at the second one. I just explained my passion and care for animals.... Just be yourself....

Thanks! :)

Great advice. You should always be yourself.

Ha! Its a great job. I work there as well

I would love to work there, or at petco, but the closest ones are like 20 minutes away and I don't want to commute that far, especially because I have seriously bad luck with cars.

I would love to work there, or at petco, but the closest ones are like 20 minutes away and I don't want to commute that far, especially because I have seriously bad luck with cars.

I had to work on my car today. Worst old car ever and I live 1 mile frome my petsmart and 25 miles from petco

I had to work on my car today. Worst old car ever and I live 1 mile frome my petsmart and 25 miles from petco

I wish I had a big box store that close. I visited my mom yesterday and before I headed home I spent an hour wandering around the petsmart in my old hometown - and amazingly I bought nothing fish related! This was a cat only trip - I felt bad that I only got fish stuff when I went to petco last week. I love the petsmart in my old town though. I've never gotten bad advice there and they have lots of really nice and knowledgeable associates.

I applied to Petco too but they seem more big box like and less user friendly. At least around here. They are both in town but Petco also has not called me back.

Back
Top Bottom