Things you can't live without (aquariumly speaking)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaygunK

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i've come upon some extra cash for my aquariums and still transitioning from beginning to intermediate. What are some things that aren't the obvious needs for running an aquarium or things that you can't (or your fish) live without? :thanks:

What kind of tank are you interested in running? Cichlid? Discus? High tech planted?

Well i already have a nicely stocked 29g w/all the "beginner" fish--platies, mollies, tetras, danios. i just picked up another 10g tank today that i think i'm going to use as a quarantine tank (i think). I'm curious about shrimp and some more of the advanced fish and just wondering what equipment i don't have that i should by now (i.e. certain foods (i only have 2 types), medicines, cleaning things...)

RaygunK said:
lol! clearly, showed my status there! ;)

Haha! Look them up, they are very nifty. My bro and i use buckets, but thats just because its easy with 2 people.

But hey, you just learned a little more! As for things to pick up, I would look at more food variety. Pick up some frozen foods if you haven't already. Brine shrimp and blood worms tend to be fishy favorites. Perhaps look at getting some basic medicines, too, just in case you end up needing them.

Oh, and if you don't get a python, get extra buckets! It does help.

i do have 1 5g bucket i use all the time. I also have 2 medicines, but they are both for ICH. I see people on here talking about mela-someting a lot. I looked up the python, it seems complicated, but i'm sure it's easier once you get it and try it out. Defiantly need more variety in food.

I have a 55 gal tank. For cleaning I bought 2 containers from Walmart that were 25 gal each. This way I can do 50% or 25% water changes when needed, clean water in 1 bucket and dirty in the other. Also I know I'm putting in the same amount I took out rather than topping my tank off with cups every water change. Just a helpful tip...

My DJ multiswitch unit. Instead of unplugging things, I flip the switch off. Great for filters and heaters.

A good test kit.
Big jug of Prime (saves money to get the 2 liter jug).
Big jug of Excel if you have live plants and no CO2 (saves money to get the 2 liter jug).
Big jug of Flourish Comp. if you have plants and don't do dry ferts (saves money to get the 2 liter jug).
A bunch of good root tabs if you have live plants.
Small bag of carbon to keep handy just in case.
MagFloat thing.
Long pipe brush.
Extra bulk filter media.
Small box of aquarium salt just in case.
Extra buckets.

IMO, a Python is a luxury item that can be skipped IF you have a small tank.
IMO, meds can be skipped as they have a shelf life and you can never know what you will have to treat for.

I agree with Blert, I have a 55 and a 20g right now...I don't break out my python (it's actually an aqueon) for the 20g I use a 4 gallon bucket. I couldn't imagine using buckets on the 55 though.

I always buy Frozen food, new plants, better lights for my plants, that awesome driftwood piece that will make the tank pop, water test kit, really good flake food like Ken's for example. Good buckets. Gallon jugs. Scaping tools, I have a stainless steel 11" set of tools for my tanks for dealing with plants, scissors, tongs, hemostats, etc...got a great deal off Ebay.

Prime, my master tests and of course my DIY wc "kit" :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120331_023325.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120331_023325.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom