Think it will be too crowded

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm Always open to criticism as long as it's not rude as constructive criticism makes one strive to do better and do it right, here's a video of my tank I tried getting in closer to show how compact things are and they will get worse in due time with plant growth, I think everything will be fine except the inlets to the filters as they will suck the plants to them, so I'm not sure how I'm going to hide them with plants, also I'm not to keen on the Texas holey rock but I have way to much money into it to just discard it, I know i paid to much at I believe it was $8-$9 a lb been a while (I know i paid to much) and I have 21 lbs of it, im thinking about mossing it up a tad to make it look like it's been submerged in a lake and has moss growth, and suggestions are appreciated just please remember this is my very first attempt at a moderately planted will be heavily planted in a few months.

https://youtu.be/qUqMDMNn9y8

Your tank looks very nice !
I have java moss in several tanks .It is very hard to keep under control even in tanks with low flow. It gets all over and 'contaminates ' all other plants. I have to go on a round up regularly with a bamboo skewer and get it all back together weekly at least.
That being said I like my moss and had my 29 covered with a 6" thick mat that covered the whole surface..I used it to stock 15 5g tanks and still had a football sized clump for the 29 left when I re did it !

Rick
Your tank looks really good and it's only going to get better. I like the varieties of fish you keep and IMO, should increase the size of the schools. As for Texas Holey Rock, you have a quality peice and it looks great. It eventually will provide an artistic contrast to the plants. I'm probably the biggest THR freak on AA, owning over 200 lbs of it. Hand picked it from two rock yards.
I recently read on a THR distributor's site that the state of Texas no longer allows THR to be mined on state land and the rock now available comes from private land owners.
The majority of THR is not show peice quality. IMO, Yours would be considered "show". I've seen show peices advertised for as much as $250 on line. Good idea to keep it.
You did a good job on the video.

I think the rock is beautiful. If it were mine I would have tall plants behind it. And something perhaps centered in it that could peek and move through it.

Your tank looks very nice !
I have java moss in several tanks .It is very hard to keep under control even in tanks with low flow. It gets all over and 'contaminates ' all other plants. I have to go on a round up regularly with a bamboo skewer and get it all back together weekly at least.
That being said I like my moss and had my 29 covered with a 6" thick mat that covered the whole surface..I used it to stock 15 5g tanks and still had a football sized clump for the 29 left when I re did it !
ahh okay so moss itself is invasive I did not know that ty for the advice, I was going to moss the tips Of the branches of the wood (not bonzai style) is there a moss that doesn't spread like Java moss? I do like the look of moss and as you've probably seen im ocd with my tank lol, I will do the work as that's what is fun for me (except stems that don't stay planted then I have to get violent haha) Ty for the advice and compliment CB much appreciated.
Rick
Your tank looks really good and it's only going to get better. I like the varieties of fish you keep and IMO, should increase the size of the schools. As for Texas Holey Rock, you have a quality peice and it looks great. It eventually will provide an artistic contrast to the plants. I'm probably the biggest THR freak on AA, owning over 200 lbs of it. Hand picked it from two rock yards.
I recently read on a THR distributor's site that the state of Texas no longer allows THR to be mined on state land and the rock now available comes from private land owners.
The majority of THR is not show peice quality. IMO, Yours would be considered "show". I've seen show peices advertised for as much as $250 on line. Good idea to keep it.
You did a good job on the video.
Tyvm V, I plan to increase the schools of tetras to 8 after I get my new tank 10, they don't come out of hiding until I turn the lunars blues on, but the tetras also pick on my smallest rainbows (kangaroo creek) so I know i need to increase to keep their attention to one another, I just haven't been able to because my lfs is out of them until next week, ty about the rock I picked it out at my lfs and set it up in the store in a cardboard display for a 90 gallon, it doesn't look bad and honestly it's starting to age well I've just had others say its an eye sore but once I get everything filled out it will be the centerpiece, there's actually 4 pieces there left, top, right and a piece under the right as well, ty for the advice and compliment V.

I think the rock is beautiful. If it were mine I would have tall plants behind it. And something perhaps centered in it that could peek and move through it.

Tyvm TMaier, the back of the rock I will eventually fill in I ran out of plants lol, I was thinking about instead of doing the L. Repens I was thinking about cryotocoryne balansae and in the middle underneath the arch I was going to leave empty for swimming area, in 5 years (lol) the parva will be spread throughout the whole bottom for a semi carpet or full depending on if I like how it looks , around the edges of the rock I was going to do Dwarf sagataria to give the effect of seaweed flowing up surrounding the Texas holey, in the top piece I was going to get a nice fancy fern to put in the hole but i will have to see what it looks like before I do that, ty for the advice and for the compliment as well TMaier.

Back
Top Bottom