think my tank might have ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

okey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have noticed three of my danios have been flicking from time to time on gravel i have eight danios three harlequin rosaboras and four clown loaches

Possible Tank Infection

I have noticed three of my danios have been flicking from time to time on gravel i have eight danios three harlequin rosaboras and four clown loaches

Hello ok...

If you have a possible problem with parasites, follow an aggressive water change routine, increase the heat, add a bit of standard aquarium salt to the tank water, and reduce the amount you feed to no more than a little bit of a variety a couple of times a week.

I'd suggest removing and replacing half the tank water weekly. Make the new water a little warmer than the rest of the water and raise the temperature in the tank to no more than 80 degrees. You can also add a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of the new, treated tap water.

You can follow this routine for as long as it takes for the fish to recover, because there's nothing in this routine that will harm the fish or plants.

B

Thankyou for the advice are clown loaches ok with the salt

Possible "Ich"

Thankyou for the advice are clown loaches ok with the salt

Hello again ok...

Most aquarium fish will benefit from a little standard aquarium salt added to their tank water. A teaspoon is one-third of a tablespoon. A tablespoon in every 5 gallons of new water is the normal dose for a parasite infection. A teaspoon in every 5 gallons is minimal, but should be effective and won't damage your aquatic plants. Most parasites that can infect fish won't tolerate even a trace of salt in the water.

Vacuuming open areas in the tank, away from plants, is also recommended. Parasites will likely be living in the substrate too. Vacuuming will remove them.

B

Slowly raise your temp to 86 and it will kill the ich completely. No med's or salt needed which many fish don't tolerate well nor do plants. You can post this on the unhealthy fish forum but raising your temp to 86 for a couple weeks is the safest (except for goldfish and some types of cold water fish) and quickest way to deal with ich.

Slowly raise your temp to 86 and it will kill the ich completely. No med's or salt needed which many fish don't tolerate well nor do plants. You can post this on the unhealthy fish forum but raising your temp to 86 for a couple weeks is the safest (except for goldfish and some types of cold water fish) and quickest way to deal with ich.

Definitely is as simple as raising the temp to about 86. If you're really worried you can add in some aquarium salt, I believe about 1 tbsp per 5 gallons, but if you haven't even seen spots or anything and if you're fast enough you're probably fine just with the raised temperature.

Do you know how big clown loaches get...

It's not even a question.

Thanks for the advice i will be tranfering my clown loaches to a jewel vision 450 litre start of next year

Treating "Ich"

Thanks for the advice i will be tranfering my clown loaches to a jewel vision 450 litre start of next year

Hello again ok...

If you raise the temp in the tank to the upper 80s, then you'll need to get more oxygen into the tank water. You'll need to add a small filter or attach a length of plastic tubing to an air pump and get the end of the tube to the bottom of the tank. The large, rising bubbles will help mix more oxygen into the tank water.

If you have plants in this tank, then they'll be sensitive to higher water temps. Especially the floating kind. If you're going to subject the plants to a little stress from the higher temps, then take the next step in treating "Ich" and keep the tank lights turned off and also the lights in the room. The "Ich" parasites locate a fish by sight. This will make it more difficult if the tank is dark.

B

Back
Top Bottom