Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-05-2014, 11:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Think this is ick?

So here is a common pleco, I rarely see him with all the driftwood and caves but today I did get a glimpse and this is what I saw..

https://plus.google.com/photos/10541...LvHw7Tdyqu9gQE

No new fish, never had ick, up and running a few months, finally cycled tested all water parameters today after a 30% PWC and gravel clean, nothing high.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Another pic, I baited him out for a better shot..

https://plus.google.com/photos/10541...CK7fnuCWhozrMw

Old 04-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

One other thing I forgot to mention, I live in Hawaii so my tank runs at 80-82 always, never less. I read that high temp kills it off, so that is why I am not sure..
Old 04-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Doesn't look like ick. Maybe some sort of bacterial infection.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Definitely doesn't look Luke ick it's looks like some sort of fungal growth

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 04-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you actually have a common pleco and 3 clown loaches in a 55G...
Old 04-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks...everyone.

Cynic, actually 4 clown loaches..yes, yes I do. Do you desire to counsel me on the growth rate/tank size of both of these fish? I am well aware so I will save you time. The clowns were maybe an inch when I got them a few months ago, maybe 1.5 now. The pleco is growing very fast, and soon...just like the clowns both will be transferred back to LFS. In the meantime, I will let my fish live happily in the tank. Even though I am overstocked by 13% but overfiltered by 212%.

This is why I hate posting here, everyone thinks people are just idiots. I didn't just buy a 55g tank, fill it up with water and throw them in, good luck fish. I am using this to get advice with questions you can't google.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

No maybe your the idiot why would you give these lovely fish a home how would u like to get taken from all your friends and be put in a different room with a lode of strangers and then settle in and make new friends and be taken away again a common requires well over a 100g
Old 04-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuzion7 View Post
thanks...everyone.

Cynic, actually 4 clown loaches..yes, yes I do. Do you desire to counsel me on the growth rate/tank size of both of these fish? I am well aware so I will save you time. The clowns were maybe an inch when I got them a few months ago, maybe 1.5 now. The pleco is growing very fast, and soon...just like the clowns both will be transferred back to LFS. In the meantime, I will let my fish live happily in the tank. Even though I am overstocked by 13% but overfiltered by 212%.

This is why I hate posting here, everyone thinks people are just idiots. I didn't just buy a 55g tank, fill it up with water and throw them in, good luck fish. I am using this to get advice with questions you can't google.
Here, here. I have asked where this rule of fish per gallon comes from and have yet to receive a reasonable explanation. IMO 'need' is a human perception. People see this info on other sires... especially the Seriously Fish site...... and take the info as gospel. What sites like this don't say, is whether a fish that needs 55 gallons can have any tankmates in the same 55 gallons?..... or does he need the whole tank.to himself. Very vague if you ask me.

Common plecos can survive in a.hole in a river bank in the dry season, so 55 gallons of well filtered aquarium water may be considered luxury..... if fish think like humans that is!

Your fish looks to me like it has suffered some damage to the upper eye - as you know, plecos like to squeeze into small spaces! The eye also looks cloudy, although that may be just the photo? It could be that bacteria has infected a wound and often fugal growth can affect the same area. If you can catch the fish, it may be worth treating the area with a little iodine.

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com