Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2005, 09:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thinking about adding some fish

I have a 58 gal planted aquarium that has been up & running for several months. It is doing great. It currently has 3 clown loaches (2-3 inches), 6 male fancy guppies and 8 orange von rio tetras. I saw some beautiful dwarf gourami today at the lfs and I am wondering if I could add them, and if so how many? I will do a bit more research as well before buying as I don't want to stress out my tank and fish and/or make a bad purchase.

Thanks.

Old 08-24-2005, 06:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The clown loaches will slowly out grow the tankl, 3 fully grown clown loaches will be very crowded in there. They are slow growers, but you might like to factor that into your future plans. As they grow you most like will need to reduce the numbers. Right now you might be able to fit a gourami in, but I don't really know the life expectancy of a gourami or the growth rate of clown loaches. Maybe someone else will have something to add.

Old 08-24-2005, 07:12 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I have three clownloaches in my 55 gallon tank, and they have grown about 3 inches in about 2.5 years. Quite slow. I think you will be ok with a gourami in there. A dwarf especially as they max out around 3 inches, as opposed to 5 or 6 inches with some other gourami species. As with most though, getting more than one can sometimes spell trouble with fighting, so I would stick with one.

JMO

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know that the loaches will eventually outgrow the tank, and at that point if MTS hasn't set in enough to have a bigger home for them I will find a better home for them. Until then, they are my favorite fish in the aquarium!

Thanks for the advice. I will probably add one gourami.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I had one dwarf male gourami in my tank with guppies and they got along fine.

Also, if you notice any problems with your guppies in general, I would recommend getting some females, as they generally do better socially with more females than males.
4 jumbo cardinal tetras
3 long-finned zebra danios
2 ghost catfish
2 otocinculus
1 male betta
SeaDana is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com