Thinking about buying Ammonia detector

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I looked up the chart on the link. You just match ammonia total, ph and temp to get free ammonia. Unless I've done it wrong there looks to be a huge difference between the table and the alert? I'm quite interested in this as table theory vs reality according to the alert.

There's not really a huge difference between the two. The ammonia alert is a semi-qualitative test, the API test is a semi-quantitative test while the chart is a calculation. All things considered, the chart should be the most accurate, provided your input data is good.

I would imagine the ammonia alert will have the largest margin for error, it's 95% confidence interval is likely huge. There are also a lot of compounds that interfere with these test. I know for the API test, calcium and magnesium can cause false positives if the levels are high enough. Not a problem in most freshwater tanks but could be an in issue in brackish or marine tanks.....hence the difference type of kits for marine water.

The difference seen here is only a factor of 3x, so it could be well within the confidence interval of the ammonia alert. I've never seen the QA data published for the ammonia alert.

There's not really a huge difference between the two. The ammonia alert is a semi-qualitative test, the API test is a semi-quantitative test while the chart is a calculation. All things considered, the chart should be the most accurate, provided your input data is good.

I would imagine the ammonia alert will have the largest margin for error, it's 95% confidence interval is likely huge. There are also a lot of compounds that interfere with these test. I know for the API test, calcium and magnesium can cause false positives if the levels are high enough. Not a problem in most freshwater tanks but could be an in issue in brackish or marine tanks.....hence the difference type of kits for marine water.

The difference seen here is only a factor of 3x, so it could be well within the confidence interval of the ammonia alert. I've never seen the QA data published for the ammonia alert.

However the alert as I understand it is providing a reading relative to a free ammonia measurement. Remember at $35 for me it's got to be good value. No point if it doesn't read accurately, I may as well treat any total ammonia reading as anomalous. The chart says it's fine, the alert was saying warning I think. In this case over-reading but can it under-read? Is it a linear relationship between the two readings? Etc, etc.

Or is it like the cardboard strips where I've found they under-read and any reading above 0 means dig out the liquid kit? (note here I'm not saying I depend on the strips). Just seems like a golden opportunity to me to investigate this alert accuracy.

However the alert as I understand it is providing a reading relative to a free ammonia measurement. Remember at $35 for me it's got to be good value. No point if it doesn't read accurately, I may as well treat any total ammonia reading as anomalous. The chart says it's fine, the alert was saying warning I think. In this case over-reading but can it under-read? Is it a linear relationship between the two readings? Etc, etc.

Or is it like the cardboard strips where I've found they under-read and any reading above 0 means dig out the liquid kit? (note here I'm not saying I depend on the strips). Just seems like a golden opportunity to me to investigate this alert accuracy.

Mine cost $7.

I used mine during a fish in cycle and it stayed in the same zone all the time. It cost me £8.

I thought it was pretty good. I would rather it over read than under read in all honesty. You would be pretty miffed if all the time it was saying you were safe when in actual fact your fish were being slowly poisoned.

Are u serious?? 35$ almost gets me a Api Master Test Kit!!! How much are those for you???

I used mine during a fish in cycle and it stayed in the same zone all the time. It cost me £8.

I thought it was pretty good. I would rather it over read than under read in all honesty. You would be pretty miffed if all the time it was saying you were safe when in actual fact your fish were being slowly poisoned.

Yes, I think a good question. We warn against using strips - is this the same or have seachem got something special? Would love to hear of test results. Did you check total ammonia at same time out of interest?

Also I should say I have tested the strips only several times over say 6 months. It's possible that another batch could over read this is just my experience to date.

Yes, I think a good question. We warn against using strips - is this the same or have seachem got something special? Would love to hear of test results. Did you check total ammonia at same time out of interest?

Also I should say I have tested the strips only several times over say 6 months. It's possible that another batch could over read this is just my experience to date.

It's a different technology than the test strips. It is a gas exchange technology and is employed in the gas sensing industry as well. There are companies that make ammonia detection system based on this technology, that are routinely used as monitor for safety in refrigeration system. Same deal, yellow is ok, blue and greens are bad. Just like Seachem's Ammonia alert, except it is for personnel safety in industrial settings.

Total ammonia was 0.25ppm the whole cycle. I think I did two water changes. I stocked very slowly and the fish I used are Alive and kicking. Look really colourful too.

I have the Seachem Ammonia Alert. I have tested it with window cleaner fluid that contains ammonia. Just putting the alert tab over (not touching and front face down towards the liquid) the cleaner makes the tab go to "toxic" in a matter of seconds. Tested it a few times and it works over and over. That telss me it works. But be cautious... All that says is that it does detect ammonia. (Which is supposed to be only free ammonia which is the toxic one)

Now as far as the accuracy I have no idea how accurate it is. You would need to have a test kit that tells you both free ammonia levels and ammonium levels. then you could compare.

Does anyone have any info about its accuracy (after testing both NH3- and NH4+)?

Keep in mind that most ammonia tests will only tell you "total ammonia" levels, which would be the sum of both toxic and non-toxic ammonia. So comparing the Seachem Ammonia alert reading to a normal test results is not appropriate as you would be comparing apples to oranges.

I beleive I am the one who originally mentioned the ammonia alert to Novice' in a different thread. There was question to the readings of API's ammonia test, and its relation to using Prime, if memory serves... Anywho, I liked the Alert for the cycling process as a daily indicator and continue to use it in my tank. In no way does it replace the API master kit, but if something goes south I feel confident it will "alert" me, when otherwise I would not think to whip out the test kit. $8 well spent in my opinion, just remove the plastic, and if it turns gray, you did it wrong!

I beleive I am the one who originally mentioned the ammonia alert to Novice' in a different thread. There was question to the readings of API's ammonia test, and its relation to using Prime, if memory serves... Anywho, I liked the Alert for the cycling process as a daily indicator and continue to use it in my tank. In no way does it replace the API master kit, but if something goes south I feel confident it will "alert" me, when otherwise I would not think to whip out the test kit. $8 well spent in my opinion, just remove the plastic, and if it turns gray, you did it wrong!

I believe you are correct! I took your advice and ordered one. Put it in my tank a few days ago. I'm glad I got it. While my readings of my N2 is spiking, I feel better that my ammonia is somewhat stabilizing. It still gives a positive reading, but my alert device gives me a little peace of mind that the bad ammonia isn't as elevated as it is with the liquid test alone. Today was the first day I got to the,safe zone because I did a lot of big changes. Prior to that I was in the "alert" zone which meant my bad ammonia was somewhere around .05.

Obviously, it isn't a substitute, but I'm glad I got it. Thanks for the suggestion!

I believe you are correct! I took your advice and ordered one. Put it in my tank a few days ago. I'm glad I got it. While my readings of my N2 is spiking, I feel better that my ammonia is somewhat stabilizing. It still gives a positive reading, but my alert device gives me a little peace of mind that the bad ammonia isn't as elevated as it is with the liquid test alone. Today was the first day I got to the,safe zone because I did a lot of big changes. Prior to that I was in the "alert" zone which meant my bad ammonia was somewhere around .05.

Obviously, it isn't a substitute, but I'm glad I got it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Lol, I certainly wasn't trying to take credit for anything, but wanted to state my experience with this product with full disclosure to everyone participating here.
I'm really glad you posted this thread, as there are some ridiculously smart people in this forum and I am glad to hear some of their expierences/thoughts on this product! Good Post!

Wouldn't it be great if the liquid version could distinguish between harmful and non harmful ammonia? Better accuracy?

It's no surprise that these companies make these test kits the way they do. They probably have it somewhere on the website about it measuring TAN for ammonia but when a newbie sees green they panic. Never fear! API's ammolock is here to save the day!

Surely they could make a liquid tester that can distinguish. I'll have to have a look at both technologies now.

Wouldn't it be great if the liquid version could distinguish between harmful and non harmful ammonia? Better accuracy?

It's no surprise that these companies make these test kits the way they do. They probably have it somewhere on the website about it measuring TAN for ammonia but when a newbie sees green they panic. Never fear! API's ammolock is here to save the day!

Surely they could make a liquid tester that can distinguish. I'll have to have a look at both technologies now.

This is so true! Wish I had all the money back that I spent on quick start products and such, when I was getting started....
In that same breath and in the spirit of this topic, it makes me love Seachem that much more! Makes a Water Conditioner that converts NH3 to NH4, and also sells a product that only measures NH3. Seems legit to me!

It's a different technology than the test strips. It is a gas exchange technology and is employed in the gas sensing industry as well. There are companies that make ammonia detection system based on this technology, that are routinely used as monitor for safety in refrigeration system. Same deal, yellow is ok, blue and greens are bad. Just like Seachem's Ammonia alert, except it is for personnel safety in industrial settings.

Thanks for the update, that sounds really encouraging technology.

This is so true! Wish I had all the money back that I spent on quick start products and such, when I was getting started....
In that same breath and in the spirit of this topic, it makes me love Seachem that much more! Makes a Water Conditioner that converts NH3 to NH4, and also sells a product that only measures NH3. Seems legit to me!

Yeh can't fault Seachem. Not easy to source their products from the UK though.

Dr Tim makes me laugh I have to say.

Op, it sounds like your best bet is getting the tank cycled again ASAP. Do you have anywhere you can get some filter media from a healthy cycled tank?

Op, it sounds like your best bet is getting the tank cycled again ASAP. Do you have anywhere you can get some filter media from a healthy cycled tank?

OP - original poster? If it is, I don't know anyone that has an aquarium. I may check out an actual fish store tomorrow to get better guidance than the generic pet stores. They may be able to give/sell me some.

I added whatever I had left of quick start last night. This morning's ammonia with just the liquid test was .25 and my detector has me in the safe zone. Now my N2 is spiking. I read somewhere that may be the 2nd stage of the cycle. I did a 20% water change this morning. Yesterday I did a 50%'change and then later a 40% change later in the day.

Back
Top Bottom