Thinking of getting a betta!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zacheyp

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i was just walking in my garage, and i saw an empty fish bowl. A brilliant idea came to me. I was like, i should put a betta in there!! I plan to pick 1 up from petco on january second. My questions are as follows. Do i cycle a bowl for a betta? Also are there any inverts or peaceful fish that could live with it in a bowl?
Thanks for all of your time, help and happy hollidays!

Sorry to be a buzzkill, but I wouldn't suggest putting a betta in a bowl. IMO/E, bettas really do better with more space. Some people say the 2.5g mini-bow is good, other people say 5g is the minimum. Either way, I wouldn't suggest a bowl unless it is at least a few gallons and you are willing to put a filter on it and possibly a heater.

Well, there are plenty of big bowls out there. I wouldn't throw out bowls all together. I have a 5g bowl that I have used in the past for a betta.

its circular so i dont really have dimensions and im probs not doing a filter, do i need to cycle the tank?

IMO, 3g will work. I would encourage a filter and heater. Bettas can survive without, but they will be much more comfortable and happier with these.

I too think big bowls are ok, as long as they are kept warm! Keeping a betta at 68 degrees would make me feel bad.
There are mini heaters you can use for a few gallons that are better than using nothing.

Cycling is often skipped for betta bowls because bettas are so forgiving i guess, but any fish should always be kept in a cycled container and not be subject to bad water conditions. Or if water changes are very often and regular, then cycling may not be necessary. Testing the water often at the beginning is probably a good idea!

You may want to look up Walstad bowls if you want to go the planted, natural route. There is no filtration, but rather the container is cycled and lots of plants are utilized.

Yeah, I don't really know how you would even cycle a tank without a filter because there isn't much for the BB to stick to.
Its your thing, and this just my opinion, but I don't personally recommend putting a betta in there. It will end up being very time consuming to replace the water that frequently (every 2-3 days like crazyfishlady said). IME, bettas really do better in tanks with heaters and filters. They can indeed live without them, but they just don't usually live as long or show as much activity IME.

I do agree with absoluteangel, replacing that water every few days does get annoying. Getting a filter helps out so much. I'm personally to lazy to go without one. But, it can be done. And everyone has different room temperatures, so a heater can possibly be skipped. But, like I said, I encourage you to grab one too. LFS have lots of options for bettas with filtration and heating.

absolutangel04 said:
Yeah, I don't really know how you would even cycle a tank without a filter because there isn't much for the BB to stick to.
Its your thing, and this just my opinion, but I don't personally recommend putting a betta in there. It will end up being very time consuming to replace the water that frequently (every 2-3 days like crazyfishlady said). IME, bettas really do better in tanks with heaters and filters. They can indeed live without them, but they just don't usually live as long or show as much activity IME.

I agree. After moving all my bettas into established, warm small tanks, they do so much better. My friend currently keeps a betta in very cold water ( room temperature) and he's already showing some fin rot. I told him.....

Maybe you could choose nano fish that don't require such warm temperatures? I have seen 3g bowls done the Walstad way with shrimp and least killifish. Angel just reminded me that such small bowls do require a lot of water changed even if they are heavily planted. Small bowls don't seem like it's worth the trouble ;)

Why not turn it into an aquatic garden? There are lots of gardens on the Planted Tank forum, if you want some inspiration. Crypts and java fern are often used if the light is low.
Maybe after doing that you could try adding some snails or ghost shrimp and see how they do. It would make a beautiful table piece!

Back
Top Bottom