Thinking of setting up a QT tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaulieFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I have room under my main tank, that I could easily put a 5g tank. I was thinking of putting a 5g tank, hang on the back filter and a small heater. I was wondering, do you always have that running, even if you are not using it for weeks? I guess you would because you have to keep the parameters the same. What I was thinking was.

Getting a 5-10g tank (what ever I can fit), normal hang on the back filter, and have to buy a heater. I was planning on taking some sand from my main tank and putting it in there as a base, and during a PWC just drain it into the tank, so that the water levels are the same.

Can anyone give me suggestions on what to do.. Some people say you put fish in your QT for 2-3 weeks before adding them to your main tank just to make sure they don't have any bacteria or anything.

Is a QT really nessassary for freshwater, people say for saltwater it is a must, which I can understand, but for freshwater is it?

I can see how useful it can be.

Also can you guys post pictures of your QT tank?

A QT tank is one of the best things you can do for your aquarium. If one of your fish gets sick, you can put him in there to protect your other fish. It is also best to put newly acquired fish in there as well. You don't want to be bringing home a fish just to have it infect and kill off your currently healthy fish.

It is not necessary to have a QT tank running all the time IF you take that HOB filter that you are going to use for it and place it on your main tank, alongside your filter for that tank. This way, it is constantly running and building that essential bacterial colony. When a situation arises that you need to use your QT tank, just transfer the filter from the main tank to the QT one.

Also, its a better idea to have a bare-bottom QT tank. This way, you can see if the fish are eating and/or poo-ing correctly and also it will make cleaning the tank much easier!

A QT tank is one of the best things you can do for your aquarium. If one of your fish gets sick, you can put him in there to protect your other fish. It is also best to put newly acquired fish in there as well. You don't want to be bringing home a fish just to have it infect and kill off your currently healthy fish.

It is not necessary to have a QT tank running all the time IF you take that HOB filter that you are going to use for it and place it on your main tank, alongside your filter for that tank. This way, it is constantly running and building that essential bacterial colony. When a situation arises that you need to use your QT tank, just transfer the filter from the main tank to the QT one.

Also, its a better idea to have a bare-bottom QT tank. This way, you can see if the fish are eating and/or poo-ing correctly and also it will make cleaning the tank much easier!

True about the bare bottom, but wouldnt me not running the filter in the QT cause stagnant water.

The only problem is I have two different filters, well would. My main tank filter is aquaclear 110 series, and the one I was planning to use for my QT tank, just has a carbon insert. I guess i would always lay the carbon insert ontop of the running water in my tank. like on top of the bio layer of the filter. I dont know.

But what I was thinking was if I layed the carbon filter onto of the bio med, I could always just use the water from my tank during a PWC to full the QT tank and heater previously set, that Way I just hook up the heater, turn on the filter and it would be good.

You wouldn't have the QT tank always filled. Are the water parameters vastly different in your tank compared to wherever it is that you get your water from? If the water parameters are the same, you can just fill the QT tank on a necessary basis, that is, whenever it is needed. If in fact they are vastly different, you could just drain enough out of your main tank into your QT tank when the time came for the QT tank to be used.

Adding water from the main tank to the QT tank will do nothing as far as adding the beneficial bacteria to your tank. Is the carbon insert one of those standard filter pads that are present in nearly all HOB filters? If so, you can run that filter in your main tank and the bacteria will grow on the actual insert (at least it does on my filter pads). Then when needed, you can transfer that smaller filter onto the QT tank and you will already have an established bacterial colony which will eliminate the need for a cycle.

Ah ok thanks, When ever I see people with pictures of there tank and I see the QT its always filled. :p Maybe its for something else.

Ah ok thanks, When ever I see people with pictures of there tank and I see the QT its always filled. :p Maybe its for something else.

With the QT tank filled, you are going to be spending more on electricity than you need to. If you have the tank filled, you are going to need to keep it heated, plus you are going to need water circulation through your filter. If you have the filter running on the QT tank with no inhabitants there won't be enough ammonia to feed the beneficial bacteria so eventually that will die off.

Instead of actually using the QT tank's filter in your main tank, you could just put the carbon insert into your main filter. Usually, HOB filters have extra compartments that allow for customization of the filter media. This carbon insert should build the bacteria on it. You could then just take out that insert and put it into the QT tank's filter when needed.

Instead of actually using the QT tank's filter in your main tank, you could just put the carbon insert into your main filter. Usually, HOB filters have extra compartments that allow for customization of the filter media. This carbon insert should build the bacteria on it. You could then just take out that insert and put it into the QT tank's filter when needed.

Very true, I dunno if I am going to get a QT set up yet, I just cant afford to buy another heater, and right now my tank is only 2 months old. Once i can afford one I will for sure though.

Very true, I dunno if I am going to get a QT set up yet, I just cant afford to buy another heater, and right now my tank is only 2 months old. Once i can afford one I will for sure though.

Yeah this lifestyle (its more than a hobby :eyes:) is definitely not for the light of wallet.

Yeah this lifestyle (its more than a hobby :eyes:) is definitely not for the light of wallet.

Its not even that its expensive, just the initial costs are. Once you have them they usually last for a while.

Ferts 20 bucks for a year.
Good Light 20-30 bucks 6-7 months
Fish Food: 20 bucks for a couple months if not more
root tabs: 15 bucks a month.
Fitler inserts: 15-30 a month depending how often you change.

So yeah i guess it is kinda expensive!! I retract my statement!

Its not even that its expensive, just the initial costs are. Once you have them they usually last for a while.

Ferts 20 bucks for a year.
Good Light 20-30 bucks 6-7 months
Fish Food: 20 bucks for a couple months if not more
root tabs: 15 bucks a month.
Fitler inserts: 15-30 a month depending how often you change.

So yeah i guess it is kinda expensive!! I retract my statement!

Your also not factoring in any fish additions, upgrades to equipment and things similar to that, cause lets face it, us fish freaks are always looking for that next thing to make our tanks better! lol

Your also not factoring in any fish additions, upgrades to equipment and things similar to that, cause lets face it, us fish freaks are always looking for that next thing to make our tanks better! lol

Yeah I just stopped my list after I realized the costs lol

This is the perfect situation for a sponge filter. I leave one in the main tank and when the hospital tank is needed I drain tank water into it and move the sponge filter over. I can chuck the sponge or disinfect it with the tank if needed easier than a full filter.

Back
Top Bottom