this is getting ridiculous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe_D

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been searching in vain for "Panda Corry catfish"

There is a Petco and "Pet Smart" in my area. Neither one has had any Cory catfish at all for weeks.
In fact an idiot at Pet Smart even had no idea what a Cory catfish was.
I seems like the only fish they are really interested in selling is Betas, Glow fish, guppys etc .
It also seems like both stores are slowly discontinuing live fish

I found some for sale on line but it cost over $50 to have even just one shipped for just a $6 fish

The days of multiple privately owned aquarium shops in most areas are a thing of the past
Where do you get fish anymore ?
I live just about 50 miles up the Hudson from NY City

Last edited:
The "pond" between NY and the UK is actually quite big. :)

actually I have been thinking about putting an ad on "Craig's List" in case anyone locally has any.

I find they breed quite easily, so you might find someone like me who has got a little overstocked and is looking to rehome some.

I originally bought 10 i think. I thought i had about 18 - 20, gave 6 away a couple of weeks ago, so hoped to be low teens in numbers. I noticed a whole bunch feeding the other day and just from the ones i could see counted 17, so there was probably some more hiding in the back.

Last edited:
To make maters worse, PETA . the idiot animal group that often has no bases in reality, has been waging a campaign to outlaw home aquariums in the US saying they are cruelty to a fish's high intellect.
However, they seem to not have a problem with sport fishing.... or the wholesale slaughter of fish and other animals to sell in supermarkets.... including live lobsters which only purpose is to be taken home and boiled alive by the consumer .

Some people's priorities make no sense at all

Try aquahuna if they have them in stock; their shipping is fairly inexpensive. You can also check ebay but make sure the seller has a good reputation. To be honest most store purchased panda are not that healthy and you want to find a local hobbist breeder for best results. The issue is a lot of fishes (not just panda) are mass bred using techniques that does not necessarily produce the healthiest fish....

To make maters worse, PETA . the idiot animal group that often has no bases in reality, has been waging a campaign to outlaw home aquariums in the US saying they are cruelty to a fish's high intellect.
However, they seem to not have a problem with sport fishing.... or the wholesale slaughter of fish and other animals to sell in supermarkets.... including live lobsters which only purpose is to be taken home and boiled alive by the consumer .

Some people's priorities make no sense at all

I guess if you eat your guppies it's ok. First I have heard about this. For the sake of not making a political statement, I'll leave it at that.

PETA are actively against all pet ownership, not just fish and not just in the USA. Anything they consider cruel or inhumane.

Lets leave the discussion there.

Last edited:
PETA on home aquariums....
https://www.peta.org/issues/animal-companion-issues/animal-companion-factsheets/fish-tanks-thanks/ T
They even confuse tropical fresh water fish with with saltwater fish

Yes , Cyanide is still used by some but, it is now outlawed in most places.
Keep in mind that we are talking about reef fish and countries usually protect these reefs

Also, some of the most popular sat water fish can now be bred in captivity. Since it is a lucrative market, much research is now going on to lean how to breed more in captivity.

If you want to discuss the ethics of fishkeeping then please refrain from bringing in the opinions of individual organisations.

Personally i think its going to be a one sided conversation on a forum dedicated to fishkeeping.

Back
Top Bottom