This may seem to be a dumb question but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How long has your tank been set up? What kind of bacteria culture did you add, BIO-Spira? Could be that your tank is just starting the cycle if you just got it running on your first post.

My tank has been set up since early October 12. I added fish Oct 23 because my readings were all at ZERO. I didn't know about QT tanks, so I just started one up early last week.

The bacteria culture I used is called Nitro-Max.

Since you didn't add fish until 23 Oct, your cycle didn't start until then. You need waste to be produced for a cycle to start. Without something producing ammonia, your tank is just like a bucket of water sitting on the ground. It won't do anything.

So, since your tank has been "cycling" for about 2 weeks now, you may start to experience a bacteria bloom accompanied by cloudy water. This is perfectly normal. Just a stage in the cycling process. The best thing to do is pwc's everyday of about 35-40% to help keep your ammonia and nitrites down as much as possible. Keep doing your pwc's everyday until your ammonia and nitrite readings are at 0 and nitrates are starting to get produced.

Also, when doing your pwc's, make sure you are adding dechlor to the new water. Easy to forget if you're worried about something else.

Nitro-Max is a "cycle accelerator" not an "actual cycling product". It probably won't help that much. Check this article out on what WhiteCloud, Gunnie, and Bernie said.
http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=35962

Hope all this info helps out.

Thanks a bunch Mofo2713. That article helped. Guess I'm off to the LFS to see if I can get some Bio-Spira and then remove another 30 gal today when I get back.

:D

Back
Top Bottom