this might get me in trouble, but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"NATIVE FISH ARE NOT MEANT TO BE TAKE OUT OF THEIR NATIVE ENVIRONMENT. "

but aren't most fish that we 'aquarists' purchase a form of Native fish?

i just purchased bala sharks and a BGK and i am pretty sure these are wild caught fish. ie taken from there 'native' habitat.

Not to be offensive, but that's where all freshwater fish come from. Some may be bred and have lived in tanks all their lives, but they ALL naturally belong in streams and lakes.

to make absolute statements like that is the real no-no. if there's one thing we can be sure of, it's that different things work for different people under different circumstances for different reasons... maybe a newb shouldn't take the risk of raising wild species, but someone who has researched the species in question and can make the commitment to care for it is a different story.

Some native fish don't get that big at all. If you're frustrated at someone keeping a pike in a 20gal, post in that thread (yikes indeed!). But there's no point in writing off ALL native fish as pets. Lots of fish sold in stores are wild caught. People trying to keep huge fish in small tanks need to be educated, that's all.

You may as well write off saltwater fish entirely. The ocean is a much bigger playground than anything else in the world, and lots of people are putting together nano-reefs in 10 gallon tanks.

FishyPeanut said:
this might get me in trouble, but...

Only violations of the UA can get folks into trouble. If this remains a discussion on keeping native fish in a home aquarium, that's fine. Let's keep the thread on topic.

i wholly apologize. but i get so frustrated.

if you don't understand that, i am sorry.

I know my thread is one of the ones your talking about. I'm just curious, I know I can get the species of fish I caught by hook and line in the local aquarium store. If I were to buy the fish from the store rather than catch them, would that be ok?

Vent peanut, it helps to once in a while. Native fish can be kept in a fish tank if they belong there IMHO. That means same temperature requirements, same space requirements, not confined to fresh water. Salt water fish often times don't leave a patch more than 1000 cubic feet in area. Putting a fish like that in a 100 gallon reef tank isn't going to be like taking it out of it's natural environment. Although I know there are exception they happily survive in fish tanks of proper size. The point is you aren't going to go out and get a halibut to put in any size tank salt tank. You also should not go out and catch a carp and put in a freshwater tank, if you are educated.

The real problem is LFS don't care about anything but the bottom line. And I don't mean the ones like I have seen where the owner has 12 staff members that spend 100's of hours maintaining their tanks. If I can acclimate MTS from my local lake to make them safe, I would go out and get them. If I had a species of fish that I knew would be well at home in my fish tanks I would probably figure out how to acclimate them and go out and get one, if it was legal.

I actually do know of a fish that lives in brachish tidal water that if I had a tank to put it in I would but it only gets to be 6 inches long and would be more than happy in a tank that met the fishes specific requirements. The fact is I will never be able to do so because of the fishes natural environment so in the estuary it will stay.

Just be sure that you research a fish before deciding it would make a good pet. You would do the same for a wild mammal that is often kept as a pet, or at least I would hope one would. After all, just because a cottontail often makes a good pet doesn't mean a wild one will.

FP......methinks most all of us understand what you're frustrated about, but '****' happens, and yes there will always be someone who thinks a prize fish from some fishing trip is going to look nice in his/her home aquarium, or that cute school of fry n the stream would look cool in my livingroom...... But if you step back a bit and think about it..........we all care for fish and plant that came from some natural environment.....away from our little tiny 'fish homes'.

You should look @ the bright side.........maybe this person will catch the fish bug.become serious about some rare species, join AA and help save a fish from extinction.

That's more likely to happen than if he's tarred 'n Feather'd..........yes?

CH

I know what you mean. The trout in the 10 or 20 gallon owned by the inexperienced aquarists a week or so back made me roll my eyes and throw my hands up in the air.

FishyPeanut said:
In the past week, I have seen 5 people come to this board wanting to know how to care for native fish they caught in rivers, lakes and streams.

It seems trendy lately.

trendy? people have been taking fish out of rivers, lakes and streams for many upon many years. How do you think you got your fish?

it's not like the fish that 'we' keep evolved over millions of years in a glass box.

what i am trying to say is: every fish 'we' have was at some time a 'native' fish. i believe your concern is most about having big fish in a small tank (big guy in a little coat), then keeping wild fish.

Let's see, I post this:

Jchillin said:
Only violations of the UA can get folks into trouble. If this remains a discussion on keeping native fish in a home aquarium, that's fine. Let's keep the thread on topic.

and then I get this:

i wholly apologize. but i get so frustrated.

if you don't understand that, i am sorry.

There was no need for an apology since you did nothing wrong. I think you misunderstood my post. I was referring to if the thread starts to have some UA (User Agreement) violations, that is trouble.

I know many a people who keep successful "native" tanks. If done correctly, they can be very rewarding. Some people don't do it correctly, and I know that is what you mean.

But, nobody in this thread is misinterpreting you. Just trying to make valid points. Please keep an open mind when discussing. :)

Interesting discussion

NATIVE FISH ARE NOT MEANT TO BE TAKE OUT OF THEIR NATIVE ENVIRONMENT.

In "theory", from an ethical point of view, we probably shouldn't be keeping any fish in glass cages then..my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom