This unknown fish is bullying my tetras!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cornflakes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So today at the store I got 6 more neon tetras (they actually gave me 7...sometimes they do that when they catch more than they were supposed to and just dump it in my bag), but it appears that one of them is NOT a neon tetra.

It looks the same as a neon tetra except for the color and size. The color is plain brownish/gray....it does not have any of those neon streaks. It's slightly bigger than the tetras but physically looking, they appear similar or almost the same as a neon tetra. It came from the same fish tank they took out with the corydoras aenus fish. I got 2 corydoras and somehow that other fish got in the bag.

It swims REALLY FAST and it seems to be hyper non-stop swimming back n forth everywhere extremely fast. It also bullies or sort of chases some of the tetras....maybe it's territorial?

This has been going on for 6 hours now since I came back from the store. The Corydoras are fine and ceaselessly combing the floor....I also added two pleco fish and they are fine too. Do you know what this fish might be?
I'll try to post a picture. Should I take him out?

2laszyd.jpg

Seems to be a zebra danio ? Try and look it up on google to see if that's it.. If it is, they are in fact very active and should be in a school of 5 or more.. And that's probably why it's harassing your neons.. Or you could just bring him back :)

Def a zebra danio, they are spaz's, I have 4, non stop fish, the largest one picks on the others, take it back if you can..

yes, after seeing other pictures that looks exactly like him! He was in a tank with the corydoras and got included by mistake in my bag with 2 corys....he seems to be chasing the tetras every 5 seconds or so then returns back to his own space....then he goes swimming like a mad man all over the place like a speeding bullet.

So i guess i'll have to return him....he's very disruptive to the tetras.

Mine do fine with neons and other danios (even guppy fry) but they're 6 in a 40g.. very fun fish! if you look closely the lines are a nice blue :)

Mine do fine with neons and other danios (even guppy fry) but they're 6 in a 40g.. very fun fish! if you look closely the lines are a nice blue :)
I agree they are nice easy fish, the behavior will not change unless you get him some buddies!

Definitely want to pay attention to your bag at that store from now on!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

oh so you think if i give him some buddies, they won't chase the neons anymore or might they still chase them around? The neons were all huddled together watching him from a distance while i was chasing him around with a net.....i have isolated him in a separate bag in the water for now....quarantined! But he's not active anymore....very calm and still.

oh so you think if i give him some buddies, they won't chase the neons anymore or might they still chase them around? The neons were all huddled together watching him from a distance while i was chasing him around with a net.....i have isolated him in a separate bag in the water for now....quarantined! But he's not active anymore....very calm and still.
if you get 4 more they will most likely hang together and not bother any other species, keep in mind they are extremely active, chill fish will prob get stressed by their presence.

ok, i think i will send him back when i can. The neons are now curious and looking at him in the bag lol.

oh thanks, but im working overseas in korea right now.
i will just have to return him when i have the time.

It'll be ok to keep him quarantined in the plastic bag in the water right? I give him food in there too, but just making sure he won't go psychotic by being in a small spaced plastic bag in the tank until i can go back to the store (it's 40 minute bus ride from where i live and i have no car).

You could even put him in a bucket with water so he has more space. I used to have a school of these. In a school they did well with a Comet. When all but one of them died the last one started to eat the tail off the Comet. He mowed about 5mm off the Comets tail before i bought a small plastic tank to keep it in. In a 4g tank though you should not keep too many fish. I have never kept tanks smaller than 20g so i'm not much help with stocking suggestions.

The amount of water in the bag isn't enough for him--he'll end up ammonia poisoned if more than a day (unless fresh tank water is getting in there somehow--can't tell from your photos). I actually like zebra danios, but they definitely need to be in a group of at least four--six is better. They are like river otters--very playful and active.

Back
Top Bottom