Those blue stick on backgrounds.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol its just a normal peice of plastic on the outside of the tank but when people apply them they put oil on the back of the tank and then squeeze it out. this gives it a wayyy better look and stays there for a long time.

Alright cool. The reason I asked was because the site said "Oceanvisions is a vinyl, water proof "sticker" background which eliminates water stains, salt/lime buildup, dirt and any other foreign matter from ever appearing on the back glass of your aquarium." Idk, I just got confused in there somewhere, although I knew that the other background with the underwater look go right on the back.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/product/productInfo.web?infoParam.mode=1&infoParam.itemKey=205403

My tank height of the glass is about 18.5 inches, and the length is 36 inches. I'd have to buy three of these, right?

the one u linked to is a sticker. a cheaper and easier method is to buy a cheap normal plastic backround and simply wipe vegetable oil or any kind of oil on it then put it onto the galss. then with a cardof some kind(debit or credit or in my case a big als VIP card :) lol) squeeze out all the oil. this gives a water tight seal and looks the exact same

Just like Funk said, you can get these at your LFS. The one I got is that color blue on one side, and black on the other. I opted for black. I also had to buy it in 24" height and cut it down to make it fit right. They're typically about $2 a foot I think, and you need 3 feet for our tanks.

But, if you do want that sticker one you linked, notice it said sold by the foot, so I suspect if you ordered 3, you'd get 1 piece that was 3 feet long.

ya it would be one 3 foot peice. but honestly it is completly unecessary. either a cheap plastic or paint it. paint is the best if u have access to the back of the tank without 2 much difficulty.

Ours are all taped on the back and they work just fine. We did purchase on of those Oceanvisions. It's basically a big sticker. Pain in the butt to put on the tank. You have to have a lot of patience for those. Once you get it on it's fantastic. We just didn't have the patience for it so we bought a regular black backing and taped it on.

I think I'll just get the Oceanvision. I'll get my brother to help me put it on the back.

I just use tape too, didn't want the hassle of oil or vaseline.

Marconis, can you get to the back of your tank? I've never done it with a sticker, but I suspect if you can't get square back there behind the tank, there's no possible way you're going to get it on straight. You'll end up having a gap on the trailing edge from where you start either at the top or bottom of the tank.

fishy if u spend the few minutes to apply the oil on it u will be absolutly amazed at how much of a difference it makes. i had mine taped on originally but once i did it properly i just cant imagine a different way of doing it.

It feels like I have enough room, I reached my arms back and stuff before I ordered the background and it really doesn't seem that tough. If it is, then lol oh well. I'll get it on :), as long as there is someone helping me. How long do these stickers last anyway? If I don't like it or anything I can always return it. It really isn't a big deal to me.

Fair enough, can't hurt to try.
I doubt you'd be able to return it if you peel the plastic cover off the sticky side though.

I guess. Oh well lol. One website stated you should have 3-4 inches of room to mingle with, and I have 5 inches between the wall and tank. Seems like enough.

Agreed. I have a sky blue wall color, so at first I thought it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I can't stand seeing the wires in the back of the tank.

I would stick with a plastic one, in case you don't like it or want to change it. Black is a great color for backgrounds.

Sparky, the head is a sculpture from an artist Ron Mueck (I think thats his name) I saw his stuff at a Brooklyn Museum and was blown away.

Back
Top Bottom