Thoughts about algaefix or algae eliminator additives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IceMan18

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am fighting with algae and I can’t seem to get it under control. Phosphates are zero and nitrates are never higher than 60. I had this tank going for at least 3
What are your thoughts on using algae control additives like algeafix?

monthsIMG_3295.jpgView attachment 1

Low tech planted tank with no CO2 injection?

I started co2 about a week ago. One bubble per second into the canister filter. I also have a fertilizer but I don’t add it more than once a week because of the algae. My T5 ho light needs new bulbs since those are about 18 months old. Lights are on for about 7 hours

Lack of phosphates can actually cause algae?? Or your light and co2 isn't dialed in with each other.

Hello Ice...

Other than a chemical to make the tap water safe for your fish, I'd say keep other chemicals out of the tank water. Fish react differently to them. A little algae is a good water filter and a nourishing supplement to your fishes' diet. I control algae with large, weekly water changes and use land plants that maintain low nitrate levels.

B

Most likely too much light is the issue. How deep is the tank? How many bulbs in the HO fixture? How long are the lights on?
Looks like BBA and string algae. A good water change routine should help with the BBA. Perhaps less light to deal with the string algae.
Insufficient fertilizers can lead to unhealthy plants which are more likely to host algae. More light means the plants need more ferts and a carbon source. Finding the right balance is the key.
Old tubes don’t always produce the same spectrum of light that new bulbs do. That’s why changing them every 9-12 months is recommended.

Some aquarium algae control chems contain copper. Great for killing parasites, bad for plants. I'd go with BB's suggestion.

Hello Ice...

Other than a chemical to make the tap water safe for your fish, I'd say keep other chemicals out of the tank water. Fish react differently to them. A little algae is a good water filter and a nourishing supplement to your fishes' diet. I control algae with large, weekly water changes and use land plants that maintain low nitrate levels.

B
Hi, I'm having simmilar problems as the op except I think my algae is string algae and brown algae . What plants do you suggest? I've currently got two different species of java ferns in my 10 gallon, so not heavily planted. Working to add more plants.
I have an outbreak of pond snails that I thought would take care of it, but they aren't even making a dent in it.
I've also got two Otto's and some ghost shrimp.
Any other suggestions for the tank? All levels were low. Almost no noticable nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom