Thoughts on African Dwarf Frogs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sc166

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 5 gallon tank looking into buying a 10 gallon tank. I've read some about these African Dwarf frogs and thought they would be a cool addition. I currently have one male betta fish and 6 neon tetras.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or experiences with African Dwarf frogs please let me know :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This is a less than scientific or experienced review :lol:

I can't stand them! I can keep just about any freshwater fish alive but I've never had ADFs that lasted more than a few months. They were also never especially interesting to watch, although I imagine it may have been because they never seemed very healthy. I haven't felt the urge to keep them since the last failed attempt 5 or 6 years ago.

That's just my personal experience though. Lots of people enjoy them, so don't let me discourage you. They do make pretty good companions for bettas from what I've been told :)

Oh, and 1 betta and 6 neons is already a pretty full stock for a 10 gallon IMO. I wouldn't add much more to it- maybe one or two frogs at most if you decide to go that way.

Although sinibotia's post about them being not very interesting is true to some extent, when they are active they are actually very entertaining to watch! They would also be compatible with the species you already have.

I wouldn't get a 10 gallon.

imo small aquariuams are not that fun. I would aim for 20 or up. African dwarfs are awesome.

Ehh... ADF are fine in a 10g. They love groups and stay relatively small.

I've had the same thing as Sini. It's about finding healthy ones.

Their eyesight is also VERY poor so hand feeding or directly spot feeding them is necessary.

There is aquatic frog pellets sold and they like bloodworms as well.

Caleb

I've had adf for over a year now. I have 6. They have their moments when they are very fun to watch. Breeding in particular is funny. They do tend to hide a lot though and they love burying under logs and in caves. They like large leafy plants that they can sit on. Mine are with platys and corys and they all get along just fine. Just make sure you have a secure lid. I lost one during a pic. Found it 2 days later hopping in my kitchen!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh yeah if you keep them in species only tank they get a lot more active.

Caleb

I have 6 African dwarf frogs. They were in species only tank for a long time and fairly inactive ,unless I was feeding them. . But now there are 3 fish in the tank and lots more plants (new Anubia ) and hiding spots. I find they swim around a lot more and are more interesting and fun to watch ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439529832.546218.jpg

This is a less than scientific or experienced review :lol:

I can't stand them! I can keep just about any freshwater fish alive but I've never had ADFs that lasted more than a few months. They were also never especially interesting to watch, although I imagine it may have been because they never seemed very healthy. I haven't felt the urge to keep them since the last failed attempt 5 or 6 years ago.

That's just my personal experience though. Lots of people enjoy them, so don't let me discourage you. They do make pretty good companions for bettas from what I've been told :)

Oh, and 1 betta and 6 neons is already a pretty full stock for a 10 gallon IMO. I wouldn't add much more to it- maybe one or two frogs at most if you decide to go that way.

I had my aquariums since December 26 had many fish die but never a frog. (Silver Molly's,hatchets,ottos,an angelfish,a dwarf cichlid.. all died ! meanwhile I've had the same 5 frogs this whole time) Lol
In my experience

These fish never die ; platy , guppy , Priscilla tetra,Chinese algae eater, pleco and bettas

Back
Top Bottom