Thoughts on keeping native "river" fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
One thought I've had on setting up "larger" home aquaria (for me, this would be 30 gallon) is to take certain river fish (maybe a single fingerling perch, especially a bluegill, rock bass, or shell cracker-only one specimen) and keep him in my tank. Maybe mix a few other common fish with him. What are the considerations on keeping local wildlife with him aside from standard fish compatibility?

I've had a 5 inch bass in my 60 gallon. Also had bluegill. Unfortunately I don't think a blue gill could work in such a small tank. The need a lot of space. Also they eat minnows so there's not many other wild fish u could put with him. Rock bass also get big and so do perch. I think maybe only a pumpkinseed as they don't get as big and r much prettier

Most of the bream (all species) I have caught in the Dirty South stay around the size of one's hand, though I certainly have heard stories of monster bluegill. While pumpkinseed are in the Black Warrior River, they can be a pain to find. Bluegill, by far, are the most common.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

I personally think it's a terrible idea to stick a wild caught fish in a tiny aquarium, a pond is one thing, the selection at your fish shop isn't cutting it? Order online..

Not were i live in central jersey u catch as Many pumpkin seed as u do blue gill

when I looked them up, pumpkinseed are more plentiful north of the Mason Dixon line. ...though a bull shellcracker sounds fun. :)

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

I love my wild caught Aussie bass. So much personality. Whenever I sit next to him he likes to watch me.

Although its a one fish tank only. Pretty aggressive fish. Only eats live food I'm guessing because its a wild fish. But bugs are free to catch. He probably harbors nasty diseases too so I'd never mix shop bought fish with wild.

Another thing to consider, what are you going to do with the fish if or when it gets too big for your tank? Depending on your tank size and sentiments, you might not want/ be able to eat it. Releasing a fish you have raised is illegal and bad for local waterways.
That brings up another point to consider: legality. make sure you are not breaking any laws, because you wouldn't want to pay a fine. :)
Beyond that, always try for healthy fish, watch temperature compatibility, diet, and make sure one fish won't eat the others.

I personally think it's a terrible idea to stick a wild caught fish in a tiny aquarium, a pond is one thing, the selection at your fish shop isn't cutting it? Order online..

I hate to tell you, but a large proportion of the fish at your lfs are wild caught!

I hate to tell you, but a large proportion of the fish at your lfs are wild caught!
you know what I mean.. Not trying to start a debate here.. My wild caught aquarium fish are 3.5"... I love largemouth bass, small mouth too. Love catching them, assessing their overall appearance and releasing them, not taking them home in a bucket and throwing them in a tank..

you know what I mean.. Not trying to start a debate here.. My wild caught aquarium fish are 3.5"... I love largemouth bass, small mouth too. Love catching them, assessing their overall appearance and releasing them, not taking them home in a bucket and throwing them in a tank..

I completely, as much as i like catching bass and trout, they would require large tanks. I especially love to have a brook trout tank, but it would have to be quite large.
Also, have considered doing a tanks with little native fish (shiners, small sunfish sp.) And native plants, but idk if if is legal

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For a 30 gallon I would stick with dace, shiners, darters. There are plenty of variety to work with and also breeders that deal with native fish. Check your local laws on what you are allowed to keep as you dont want to take anything protected. Best place for info is nanfa.org

A buddy of mine has a shiner tank, very nice when they flash, and are easy to feed/use as bait if need be!

There are thousands of shiners in the lakes around me, and its so cool to seee them tightly schooling and constantly flashing. theyd be awsome in an aquarium!

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll be doing a full size trout river through my entire house once that lottery payment comes in! Oh wait.. I haven't hit it yet.. Awwww

Back
Top Bottom