Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Question Thoughts on Nitrate Sponges?

Anyone have any experience with them?
Are they doing anything really or it's just a waste of money?

Old 02-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I never bought this product, but it must be similar to Matrix or Pond Matrix. Just keeps lower nitrates in between water changes. It does not replace water changes and it doesn't get rid of other unmeasurable waste in the water.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I didn't look for it as a replacement for a water changes. I just looking for it as a help with keeping water clean and healthy. I'm doing the water changes every week and intent on doing so all the time
Old 02-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm going for the pond matrix for the same purposes as you
Old 02-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have had no experience with that product but if you keep up with water changes and periodic testing of levels so you get a good feel how dirty your water gets in relation to time, you will have pristine water.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

My nitrates are skyrocketing now for some reason I can't comprehend, so I ordered a sponge for my tank and will do a water change today and tomorrow. Got a brand new water test, so I'll keep posting about the results when I get my sponge
Old 03-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big is your tank and what's in it?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by senemedar View Post
My nitrates are skyrocketing now for some reason I can't comprehend, so I ordered a sponge for my tank and will do a water change today and tomorrow. Got a brand new water test, so I'll keep posting about the results when I get my sponge
Nitrates is used to measure the total amount of pollution in your water. If you buy a product that mask your indicator, then you will never know how your water quality is doing.

If you're doing 50% weekly water changes and still get rising levels of nitrates, then your tank is overstocked or you are overfeeding.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance

Nitrates is used to measure the total amount of pollution in your water. If you buy a product that mask your indicator, then you will never know how your water quality is doing.

If you're doing 50% weekly water changes and still get rising levels of nitrates, then your tank is overstocked or you are overfeeding.
That's the reason I asked what size tank and what's in it because I think its overstocked
Old 03-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by boadams87
How big is your tank and what's in it?
The tank is 165 litres, and the stock list is quite long and hard to put over the phone while at work The full stocking list is in my profile though, please check it this way.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by senemedar

The tank is 165 litres, and the stock list is quite long and hard to put over the phone while at work The full stocking list is in my profile though, please check it this way.
Oh ok. If its that many your probably way overstocked.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance

I'm doing a weekly water changes, but only about 10-15% at a time. As for the feeding -I'm only feeding them once a day in the evening, but it may be a bit too much, as I'm always afraid that they'll be hungry But the food's disappearing within 5 to 10 minutes, apart from the bits on the bottom that the shrimps are taking care later on.

I don't think my Nitrates are rising anymore, but they had stopped at a level between 40 and 80 now
Old 03-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I'm doing a weekly water changes, but only about 10-15% at a time. As for the feeding -I'm only feeding them once a day in the evening, but it may be a bit too much, as I'm always afraid that they'll be hungry But the food's disappearing within 5 to 10 minutes, apart from the bits on the bottom that the shrimps are taking care later on.

I don't think my Nitrates are rising anymore, but they had stopped at a level between 40 and 80 now
With nitrates that high you should be changing 50-75%
Old 03-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, I'll do that today and tomorrow. I'm only concerned about my water bill
Old 03-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yes, I'll do that today and tomorrow. I'm only concerned about my water bill
What size tank is it? It shouldn't bother it to much only once a week.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

His stock (165 liters = roughly 40 US gallons):

- 6 x Guppies
- 1 x Pearl Gourami
- 5 x Black Skirt Tetras
- 3 x Balloon Mollies + 1 "Just" Mollie
- 2 x Glass Cafish
- 1 x Albino Bristlenose Long-veiled Pleco
- 1 x Snowball Pleco
- 1 x Red-Tailed Shark
- 1 x Amano shrimp
- 3 x Red Cherry Shrimp
- 1 x Apple snail
- 1 x Assassin snail
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've never used sponges because I'm a bit sceptical about them. How do you know when they stop being effective?

For an in-tank sollution I would rather suggest some easy-to-grow stemplants. Appart from the snails your stocklist looks like its fine.

Otherwise, larger water changes will be the thing. If you are concerned about the waterbill then I will suggest that showering for us aquarists is optional
Old 03-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would like to see that shark in a 75 gallon tank, though.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Unhappy

Hi. First of all thank you LyndaB for help with stocking list Working from 6am till 8pm is making you less inclined to go to a computer when you're back home, and not everything can be easily typed on the phone

There's a story behind that shark, and to cut it short - it was a very first fish sold to me by my LFS, for a (back then) 60 litres UNCYCLED tank over year ago... And as much as it hurts me, I can't get him anything bigger than my 43 US gallons simply because my flat isn't big enough

@epiphysis:
I don't think you'll know when they stop working; you just need to change them every now and then, I suppose.
What do you mean by 'Apart from snails' ?

Plus, I did a 50% water change as suggested, and after an hour Nitrates are still high, but it's a bit better; it's not as dark as 80ppm, but it's bit darker than 40ppm. But it's lighter than yesterday, so I'm happier than I was this morning I'll do another one tomorrow and check it again.
What worries me though, is that my tap water is somewhere between 10 and 20ppm - should it be that high?

And I see that the isn't as updated as I'd like it to see There's 4 guppies now, not 6 and just two RCS...
Old 03-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I mentioned the snails because they don't really go with plants. A healty bush of H polysperma might help lower the nitrates (if its not blacklisted in your area).

Tags
nitrate, sponges

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com