thoughts on stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blizowman1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok so ive had my tank up and going for about as of right now i have
* 8 pristella tetras
* 6 cardinal tetras
* 2 julii corys
* 2 emerald corys
* 1 albino bristlenose pleco

* java fern
* java moss
* wisteria
* anubius nana
* banana plant
and big piece of drift wood right in the middle

i have a 29g with a aquaclear 70

i really love the cardinal tetras colors i wish i had bought more.
i want to know what you all think and what yall would do?
i am planning as of right now on a pair of german blue rams.
i would love to be able to add more cardinals too mine are still tiny as of right now so im guessing once they grow theyll fill the tank somemore but i just love the color.

so tell me what yall think what yall would do no opinions are bad opinions im open to everything

IMO you could add the Germans no problem to that stock.

And cardinals have a very small bioload so adding more wouldn't be an issue either.

I'd maybe stick to just one school and I'd skip the cories of you are wanting rams. The foot print of a 29 doesn't offer enough floor space for cories and a pair of rams when they are breeding. Also if you decide on cories just stick to 4-6 of the same type.

Yeah, I agree that the cories and a ram pair might be an issue in a tank that size. Some rams are more docile than others while breeding, but it would be safer to just get 1 ram.
Yeah, you could do a few more cards without an issue IMO.
I have a mixed group of cories and they do fine. Some people prefer having all of one type for more schooling. If you picked the cories instead of the rams, I would get 3 of each variety instead of just 2.

so i actually understand what your saying about the rams and the corys i dont want any dead cats cause of the rams breeding. so what if i added cardinals, one ram, and one more of each kind of cory then maybe a pearl gourami for something in the top of the tank cause everything i have stays pretty close to the bottom

I suggest a honey gourami or a dg because they stay smaller than pearls. :) Also, lots of people say pearls do best in trios because it makes them less shy. I am not sure if thats true or not, just passing along info I have read.
If you want something for the top, you could also skip the pristella tetras and go with a danio of some sort.

This is what I would stock if it were me:

10-12 cardinal tetras or other small tetra
6 julii corys
2 blue eyed ancistrus L144
1 smaller gourami species.

the thing is i already have the pristellas, cardinals, 2 of each cory, and the albino BN

blizowman1 said:
the thing is i already have the pristellas, cardinals, 2 of each cory, and the albino BN

If that's the case add one or two of each Cory, bump the schools up to 10 a piece and then add a smaller gourami.

Should end up being a nice active tank with activity on every level.

so angel knowing what i have now what would be your recommendation

I would do 3 of each cory, 1 ram, and a honey gourami and the bnp.
I suggest sticking with just 6 cards and 8 pristellas for now and you can see what its like in the tank with everybody else in there and then you could always add a few more later if they think they would fit well and your filter can handle it. :)

img_1777754_0_b988b00fb53ea0468a72cd9ba447b376.jpg

so you don't think my tank is overstocked with what u got if I bump the cory groups to three each, and get the ram and a gourami....then maybe later on add a couple more cardinals if it permits???

Thats correct. People have different ideas about stocking, but I personally think thats fine. I have experience with all those species and I would be perfectly comfortable with that stock if it was my tank.

Back
Top Bottom