Tiger barb and longfin rosy barb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exodus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had the tiger barb for awhile, but I just got the rosy barb about a week and a half ago. They always seem to nibble at each other a bit, and the tiger barb generally bullies everyone in the tank and chases them around. They dont seem to be too bothered by it though, and my tetras dont take any crap from him.

But today I looked in the tank and saw both barbs what looked to be nibbling at each others side fins, going round and round in circles. Kinda looks like dancing almost :roll:

Should I be worried about this?

They leave each other alone for the most part, but sometimes they really get at it.

naw u shouldn't be too worried cuz barbs do chase each other in circles mine used to..alot!
but i would watch out for the long finned rosy barb cuz he might get the worst out of the scraps

Just keep an eye on it though, it is a form of aggression. Cichlids do that all the time when competing for dominance.

I would agree. Tigers don't generally do well with fish that have long fins. Do you just keep 1 of each species? They really prefer to be in schools, and a school of tigers will disperse the aggression between a number of fish instead of just the rosy. What size tank do you have?

severum mama said:
I would agree. Tigers don't generally do well with fish that have long fins. Do you just keep 1 of each species? They really prefer to be in schools, and a school of tigers will disperse the aggression between a number of fish instead of just the rosy. What size tank do you have?

i have 1 tiger, one longtail rosy, 3 painted tetras, and a penguin tetra in my 10gal. I havnt seen the barbs really going at it since I first saw it a few days ago, now they're just back to happily chasing each other around the tank without any fin nibbling.

I'm getting a 55g in addition to my 10g within the next week or so, I think I might move the tiger into that tank when I get it up and running, because he seems to be the most aggressive of the group.

Back
Top Bottom