Tiger Barb Compatability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calvin and Kyle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 30 gal tank

With about 4 tiger barbs plan on expanding that to about 6-8 later on.

But I am curious as to what I could put with the guys to make for a more interesting tank?

And I don't really want any tetras as I find them to be pretty boring. Any suggestions?

I have a 30 gal tank

With about 4 tiger barbs plan on expanding that to about 6-8 later on.

But I am curious as to what I could put with the guys to make for a more interesting tank?

And I don't really want any tetras as I find them to be pretty boring. Any suggestions?

Not much help about what to put with them, but I've read and seen members who have tiger barbs say it seems to help it you keep odd numbers instead of even.

7-9 TB's a good number. If your willing to try Serpae Tetras, they are known to school with TB's. You could also go with Gold and or Cherry Barbs and H. Rasboras. They stay small but active enough.

I have 7 pentzona barbs. 5 barbs, beautiful, active & peaceful. Would recommend.

I have 7 pentzona barbs. 5 barbs, beautiful, active & peaceful. Would recommend.

I looked those up.. I'm amazed at how similar they look to tiger barbs! Lol it's almost the same fish. I will have to consider those.

I'd say I'm almost looking for a single fish that would stand out. But these are excellent suggestions guys! Keep em coming if you've got anymore!

I tried a blue ram cichlid, and he didn't do to well. But that may have been because his tail was too tempting for them. Any suggestion of soft water cichlids? Like any particular types?

I tried a blue ram cichlid, and he didn't do to well. But that may have been because his tail was too tempting for them. Any suggestion of soft water cichlids? Like any particular types?

I should have said, "soft water cichlid, except for rams."

Try jewel cichlids, kribs, or apistogramma sp.

I had a jewel with my tiger barbs. She did well with them and they wouldn't mess with her. She kept tearing up my plants so I fed her to my dog (j/k - took her to the LFS). I'm waiting on an apisto to come in.

I've had tigers, gold and rosy barbs together. A peacock eel also shared the tank. With all barbs, it was a rough tank sometimes. But they were all active and I liked it.

I've had tigers, gold and rosy barbs together. A peacock eel also shared the tank. With all barbs, it was a rough tank sometimes. But they were all active and I liked it.

Well I do have a peacock eel in there. He is a favorite of mine. But hides in his caves or gravel all day and comes out every few nights. So I'm trying to find an active day time fish.

The jewel cichlid is interesting, but I do have a fair amount of plants! And I do like the gold barbs activity. (Gf has some)

Anymore suggestions? :D thanks a lot for your suggestions guys.

What do you guys think of a red tail shark?

So far: 5 tiger barbs mixed school.
1 stripped peacock eel.
1 albino bristlenose pleco
1 ivory snail
1 upside down catfish ( that literally just lives on the underside of this large tall leafed plant)

I wanna expand the school first!

But do you think that shark would work? Or a no go?

Its a 29 gallon tank, not a 30 gallon. Only a gallon of water volume difference, but it means a lot in terms of what you can stock. A 29 gallon tank has 97% the water volume as a 30 gallon, but only 83% of surface area or footprint.

A standard 30 gallon measures approximately 36.25" long by 12.5 inches wide, a footprint of about 3.15 square feet. By contrast your 29 gallon is 30.25"x12.5", a footprint of 2.6 sq ft, only 83% the footprint of a 30 gallon.

I would venture away from the RTS, as one would likely get too large for a 29 gallon. I've never kept them, so maybe others have advice regarding this.

Since you have plants, I would go against the jewel cichlid (mine did well when my plants were established, but it became impossible to plant anything new with her in there). I've had some success in keeping kribs, Pelvicachromis pulcher. You could keep a pair of them in a 29. They are good with plants, in fact, prefer planted tanks. They breed like rabbits too, so thats kind of neat.

images

I do like the kribs! They're pretty! And yeah I wasn't sure if it was a 29 or a 30. As it was inherited. But thanks for the info! I didn't think I could keep the shark because of later aggression. But thought if see what popular opinion said.

On the kribs, do I need to worry about tail being nipped? That's what happened to my ram :/

No, kribs are more aggressive than rams. They are still on the "peaceful" side of the cichlid spectrum, but I imagine they will not tolerate being nipped by tiger barbs and the barbs should leave your kribs well enough alone.

Great! :) thanks a lot for the info. I think I'm gonna try one! I'll let you know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom