Tiger Barb feeders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DGabbs

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone,

A couple weeks ago i got a new set of Jr. tiger barbs. They are still really small so i wasn't sure how they would react to live food, but all of the tiger barbs i have had in the past love live food.

We live on a lake and around our dock there are thousands of those little pinhead minnows. They are only about a half an inch long and very slender.

Anyways, put about 40 of them in the tank with six jr. tigers and within 20 second every last one was gone. I have never seen little barbs freak out that much for food!!! It was insane. I could tell that they were really happy after, and when i woke up in the morning, their colors we unbelievable. I have never seen barbs with such defined stripes and bright orange fins.

I'm really happy with this feeding methode and i think i will try to do it once every other week if i can.

Just reporting the success. If you have a source of pinheads feed them to your barbs!

They look like this-- (NOT MY PHOTO)
2534398861_8f8363ce68.jpg

Live food is great for most tropicals, however there is a chance you could intoduce pathogens, or parasites from the minnows, or lake water into your aquarium. Not trying to be a downer, just a thought!!

Ya totally get what your saying. I always net them from the lake and put them right in a jug of tank water and QT them for 1 day and then net them and put them in the tank.

Its a risk, but tiger barbs are tough and I've never had an issue.

Live food does do wonders for fish, thats for sure!! Hope everything keeps going well for you, and your fish.

Thanks, thats why i'm not going to do it that often (1-2 a month), but i certainly will take every precaution posible.

Maybe i should run the minnows through a UV filter. :D

What kind of staple food do they get? Normally a high quality pellet staple like NLS brings out color just as well. I don't have an issue with feeding live, but I usually only do it with picky species.

I usually feed tiger barbs high quality flake and bloodworms. I just think its fun to feed live feeders... :)

I don't have an ethical issue with that, I was just addressing the lack of color you mentioned. I do suggest quarantine for feeders as wild fish have diseases and parasites that can be transferred to your fish.

Best of luck.

jetajockey said:
I don't have an ethical issue with that, I was just addressing the lack of color you mentioned. I do suggest quarantine for feeders as wild fish have diseases and parasites that can be transferred to your fish.

Best of luck.

Hi, I wouldn't say there was a lack of color in them, they just looked like any old tiger barbs, but after I feed them minnows, the next morning they were just glowing with color. I can tell when they are stress (after weekly water changes) because their stripes fade and there's no orange in their fins.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom