Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-26-2022, 04:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Tiger Barb hiding in top back corner.

Hello, to start of I'd like to say I am new to owning tiger barbs and I'm not sure if maybe this is normal behavior. Anyways, I have a 20 gallon planted tank and today after stocking it with 5 tiger barbs there is one that is hiding in the top corner of the tank while the other 4 are swimming around with each other and acting as I expected all five of them to do. I looked up a few past situations like this and saw that a lot of people say I would need more fish and/or that this is a normal behavior for a male tiger barb. I am not sure if the hiding one is a male but I'm pretty sure of the other four they are 1 male and 3 females. I was just wondering if maybe this is a normal thing or if there is something I can do to help. Thank you again for any help.

Old 05-29-2022, 07:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

More than 5 would be better but then you only have a 20 gallon, I'm assuming it's a 20 long? These fish swim a lot, they are super active and at times behave like having ten five year old kids in a small room for a long time. You just got those barbs, give them a week or two to acclimate to the tank, I had nothing but barbs for a couple of years and this is pretty much how they behave. If you have a 20 long maybe add another one or two?
Old 06-05-2022, 12:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mine have been like this for the 6 months or so I’ve had them. From time to time they just hang out in the back corner behind some plants and just relax for a bit, with mine it’s never the same fish but it always seems like at any point in time I can look in there and one of them is just chilling in the corner taking a break

I’ve also read the same that a larger group of them tends to have less aggression amongst them. Which could be you’re case if it’s always the same fish hiding. I’ve got 13 of them in my 75g which is a nice group and they seem to get along well
Old 06-06-2022, 10:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I’m new to the hobby too. Decided to just have tiger barbs and my 6 behave just the same, so it’s reassuring that others have the same characteristics.
I have a 90ltr tank and am thinking of adding a further 6.
Also been wondering whether the 4 shrimps l have are enough to keep it clean.

Tags
barb, corner, hiding, tiger, tiger barb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com