tiger barb swimming funny...dead.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brian7

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok so i have 8 tiger barbs. one of them, the smallest one, was swimming funny, up and down kinda all over the place and would get pushed up by bubble curtain. so i took him out and put it in a cup with tank water (no quarantine tank) he died minutes later.

Any ways tested my water and its good...

and all my other fish are perfectly fine (other barbs, guppies, danios, angel fish, rainbow shark) so i refuse to think i have a disease.

was there any physical damage to the fish? sometimes the smallest fish can get picked on to the point of death

Could be anything from SBD to injury by bullies. Was it eating in the last few days? For now keep an eye out on the others ... hopefully it was an isolated case. TigerBarbs are notorious for picking on the smallest of their shoal.

well someone mentioned blood worms, i do feed those once a week, the tiger barbs go nuts for them, could it be something with that?

Ok..... it's possible that the rainbow shark is showing high aggression being that it's in a smaller tank. Having had one, I don't know why people say that anything less than a 75 is a happy home for them. :blink:

I watched my shark take out my danios, one at a time. I rehomed him for his own good and the good of the tank.

I agree with the above poster that tiger barbs are nasty fish. They have a rep for beating on their school mates. That's just their nature.

rainbow shark is small maybe 1 n a half to two inches. No signs of aggression what so ever. its not him.

thanks everyone

I mean no disrespect, but you can't really watch your tank 24 hours per day. None of us can. Which means we never really know what goes on all the time between the tank mates. ;)

Some people do end up with mellow sharks, but not many, from my own experience and what I've heard.

I mean no disrespect, but you can't really watch your tank 24 hours per day. None of us can. Which means we never really know what goes on all the time between the tank mates. ;)

Some people do end up with mellow sharks, but not many, from my own experience and what I've heard.

Have to agree with LyndaB ... keep an eye out on the RBS. It may still be too young .... but I'd imagine the territorial aggression's starting to develop.

Could also have been that TigerBarb was sick ... tough to say ... hopefully no other fish die.

Back
Top Bottom