Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2018, 02:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Tiger barb tank mate question

I have a 65 Gallon tank with 5 tiger barbs, a rainbow shark, and 5 cory Catfish. I am getting 5 green tiger barbs and wanted to get something else for the tank when I ordered them. I was looking at either a Opaline or Golden Gourami. I kinda want a bigger centerpiece fish. I am just worried that the tiger barbs will nip the Gouramis feelers. My current tiger barbs don't harass any of the other fish, but I would rather not put the new Gourami through it if it happens.
Would a Gourami be good for my tank? If not, what bigger sized fish would you recommend?
Thank you

Old 07-08-2018, 03:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dont think I would add a long finned centerpeice fish with Tigers. Might add 5 more Albino Tigers (Light Orange w/ White stripes). When I kept Tigers (Greens, Albino & Standards) I primarily stocked big"Red nosed" males.
As long as your going with the Asian tank look, might Check into adding a few Botia Modesta Loaches, aka: Red Tails. I keep 4 of them. A very active, efficient scavenger. Kind of looks like a cross between a Rainbow Shark and a Bull Shark. I'll post a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180708_125943.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	309572  

Old 07-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Something to consider, depending on your water parameters are some of the Central American Cichlids. There are some that are smaller, colorful and mild like Rainbows and sajica. Nicís might even work
Old 07-08-2018, 03:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
As long as your going with the Asian tank look, might Check into adding a few Botia Modesta Loaches, aka: Red Tails. I keep 4 of them. A very active, efficient scavenger. Kind of looks like a cross between a Rainbow Shark and a Bull Shark. I'll post a pic.
Would the loaches get along with my rainbow shark and Cory Catfish?
Old 07-08-2018, 03:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkemp View Post
Something to consider, depending on your water parameters are some of the Central American Cichlids. There are some that are smaller, colorful and mild like Rainbows and sajica. Nicís might even work
I looked at the rainbows and I like them but I read they need to be kept in groups of around 8. Is this true?
Old 07-08-2018, 03:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

In my experience it is not necessary. I have 2 pair in a forty breeder. There are some fry that make it from time to time. In the 40, two pairs can spawn and it not be chaos.

One thing I will say about them is they love, Love, Love veges. Plants will work for them in the absence of veges. Swords and crypts are ok. Most of the rest they will eat

Tags
barb, mate, question, tank, tiger, tiger barb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com