Tiger barb tank mate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis93

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 65 Gallon tank with 5 tiger barbs, a rainbow shark, and 5 cory Catfish. I am getting 5 green tiger barbs and wanted to get something else for the tank when I ordered them. I was looking at either a Opaline or Golden Gourami. I kinda want a bigger centerpiece fish. I am just worried that the tiger barbs will nip the Gouramis feelers. My current tiger barbs don't harass any of the other fish, but I would rather not put the new Gourami through it if it happens.
Would a Gourami be good for my tank? If not, what bigger sized fish would you recommend?
Thank you

I dont think I would add a long finned centerpeice fish with Tigers. Might add 5 more Albino Tigers (Light Orange w/ White stripes). When I kept Tigers (Greens, Albino & Standards) I primarily stocked big"Red nosed" males.
As long as your going with the Asian tank look, might Check into adding a few Botia Modesta Loaches, aka: Red Tails. I keep 4 of them. A very active, efficient scavenger. Kind of looks like a cross between a Rainbow Shark and a Bull Shark. I'll post a pic.

Attachments

• 20180708_125943.jpg
    20180708_125943.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 69
Something to consider, depending on your water parameters are some of the Central American Cichlids. There are some that are smaller, colorful and mild like Rainbows and sajica. Nic’s might even work

As long as your going with the Asian tank look, might Check into adding a few Botia Modesta Loaches, aka: Red Tails. I keep 4 of them. A very active, efficient scavenger. Kind of looks like a cross between a Rainbow Shark and a Bull Shark. I'll post a pic.

Would the loaches get along with my rainbow shark and Cory Catfish?

Something to consider, depending on your water parameters are some of the Central American Cichlids. There are some that are smaller, colorful and mild like Rainbows and sajica. Nic’s might even work

I looked at the rainbows and I like them but I read they need to be kept in groups of around 8. Is this true?

In my experience it is not necessary. I have 2 pair in a forty breeder. There are some fry that make it from time to time. In the 40, two pairs can spawn and it not be chaos.

One thing I will say about them is they love, Love, Love veges. Plants will work for them in the absence of veges. Swords and crypts are ok. Most of the rest they will eat

Back
Top Bottom