Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2005, 02:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Tiger barb with rapid growth

My tiger barb two weeks ago was about 1/2" in size. Two weeks later he was 3x his size. I'm not talking about bloat, I'm saying physical size. He morphed into the incredible hulk in two weeks! Unfortunately, he passed just a couple days ago. I was wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this. All my other "kids" seem to be doing great. Any suggestions?

100 gal: freshwater
2 green kissing gouramis, 1 red tail shark, 3 congo tetras, 3 australian rainbows, 1 rubberlip, 1 hippo, 1 green severum, 1 yellow severum, 2 german blue rams (pair), 3 giant danios, 3 silver dollars, 5 angels, 12 freshwater clams.

30 gal: 6 white mollys, 3 rummy nose, 2 german blue rams (pair), 2 red swordtails, 2 golden swordtails, 1 handicap guppy.

20 gal: fry tank of whatever (right now about 30 guppies and 100 white molly's.

10 gal: 2 german blue rams (pair)

5 gal: Basil the Betta, 2 african dwarf frogs
nimbus46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 02:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My ex wife did that. Unfortunately shes still with us Ok now that one was off color...sheesh. Im gonna get myself in trouble here yet.

That sounds interesting...Ive never heard of a fish growing quite thatrapidly. I wonder if it had some genetic flaw?

She left me before we met.
youronlysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 02:52 AM   #3

Ya know that is the only thing that makes sense...I'm so nervous about buying these guys when they sell them is mass quantities in the chain stores.

2 green kissing gouramis, 1 red tail shark, 3 congo tetras, 3 australian rainbows, 1 rubberlip, 1 hippo, 1 green severum, 1 yellow severum, 2 german blue rams (pair), 3 giant danios, 3 silver dollars, 5 angels, 12 freshwater clams.

30 gal: 6 white mollys, 3 rummy nose, 2 german blue rams (pair), 2 red swordtails, 2 golden swordtails, 1 handicap guppy.

Old 02-20-2005, 03:19 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

[center:226317cea9] Welcome to AA, nimbus46! [/center:226317cea9]

Quick growth and quick death are definite red flags of something. I have never dealt with anything like that, but that's not right for any animal. Are the other fish maturing normally?

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:01 PM   #5

Yes all the others are in good condition, especially the tigers. They are their normal active selves. I tried doing some research on the web and got zip. All my water levels are normal and within range, so I totally agree with you on the red flag. From just conversations with others it seems maybe he was already sick when I got him. He was very young so I really didn't see any deformities at that time. I will say that when I first got the tigers I originally got 5, but I didn't notice that one didn't have an eye until I got home, that little guy is in a foster home because I didn't want the others to pick on him.

Thank you for the welcome, this site is great and just full of info!

Old 02-26-2005, 03:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah my tiger barb grew really quicky too!

I bought 3 to start with 1 of each type. The striped one was double the size of the others in about 2 weeks.

They were all about an inch big and the other 2 had only grew a little. I felt sorry for them cus this striped one was their size and the bullying was rather varied but when he grew he soon chased them with no chasing back.

Now i have 2 stripey's and the slightly smaller one chases my original one! i dont understand that. My original one has been nipped quite a lot by this newcomer and no i feel sorry for my original one.

Satsumas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
api, barb, growth, tiger, tiger barb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com