Tiger Barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Hewitt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My current 64 litre tank is full. But myself and my wife both like the look of tiger barbs whenever we've been to the LFS.

If I were to upgrade my tank to one of a bigger size would tiger barbs be suitable tank mates for my current population, which consists of Black Skirt Tetra, Rummynosed Tetra, Peppered Cories and Mollies?

Also does it make any difference if some of them are of the green variety, will they school just the same?

I don't think I'd go any smaller than 40g. In order to keep your tiger barbs from nipping the fins of your other fish, you'll need a school of barbs and room for them to roughhouse without bothering your other fish.

make sure you get a lot of them, at least 7 or 8. i have alwyas kept them and have always had trouble if the number got below that.

I don't think I'd go any smaller than 40g. In order to keep your tiger barbs from nipping the fins of your other fish, you'll need a school of barbs and room for them to roughhouse without bothering your other fish.

Hmm, the tank I was looking at is 33 gallons.

you can put them in a 33 easily in my opinion. they are an active fish but i had mine in a 20 before. this was a few years ago and it probably wasn't ideal. but the fish were happy/healthy. i had them in there with black skirt tetras and a couple platys. very similar to your stocking.

you can put them in a 33 easily in my opinion. they are an active fish but i had mine in a 20 before. this was a few years ago and it probably wasn't ideal. but the fish were happy/healthy. i had them in there with black skirt tetras and a couple platys. very similar to your stocking.

Would the barbs school with the black skirts?

it's been so long since i had that setup. i don't know that i would call it schooling together, but they will swim amongst eachother. it's hard for fish to "school" in a tank that size. no matter where they are, they aren't too far from eachother.

what are the dimensions on the tank?

just be certain to get enough of them, because black skirts sometimes aren't fast moving, definitely not nearly as active as barbs and they kind of have long fins.

tiger barbs are difficult sometimes because there's always a change you get one who is just a bully. i've had some that were white hot aggressive and picked the fins off of bala sharks and beat up a gourami, and then i've had others that didn't ever nip a fin.

just get enough and it should deal with most of the aggression. they'll keep it amongst eachother. but a lot of times one of the weaker/smaller barbs will get beat up.

what are the dimensions on the tank?

31" long x 14" wide x 17" high
Although I'm not wedded to that tank in particular, but something around that size.

just be certain to get enough of them, because black skirts sometimes aren't fast moving, definitely not nearly as active as barbs and they kind of have long fins.

My black skirts can be very fast when they want to be. It's just they don't often want to be, unless they are hungry then they can properly shift!

i tink you're absolutely fine. i'm not saying the tiger barbs are going to be best friends with the fish you have, but it should work out. don't get fewer that 8 and don't get big ones. it will also help that you're introducing them last into the community. i wouldn't add anything else if you do get 8 or so barbs.

i just gave away my 8 tiger barbs that were all near 3". i had them for two years. but they were in a 50 gallon. this is actually the first time since i've been keeping fish that i don't have tiger barbs.

I have 9 Tiger Barbs in my QT right now ;) and I kept them once before as well. Very hardy, entertaining fish.

If you are not "married" to a tank, I'd suggest going all-out on length, making sure the tank is at least 8" wide front to back. TBs will easily use the entirety of it, personally I think 3 feet is good (although the TB doesn't know the difference between 31" and 36").

I totally agree with Swifterz saying 7+ Tiger Barbs. Also, the black skirts may get nipped. If I were you I'd QT the Tiger Barbs, and if you notice one of them is "the boss" that defends the most territory, chases the hardest and fastest, trade him in for a more docile one at the LFS. This will greatly reduce the chances of disaster in your tank, because just one surly Tiger Barb can spoil the bunch ;)

If you are not "married" to a tank, I'd suggest going all-out on length, making sure the tank is at least 8" wide front to back. TBs will easily use the entirety of it, personally I think 3 feet is good (although the TB doesn't know the difference between 31" and 36").

Agreed. It's also better from a fish owners point of view as there's more viewing area of your fish! I can get pretty much any dimensions I need by buying a ClearSeal fish tank to order, but they are a lot more hassle as they are just the tank, they don't come with anything else. A filter and heater are easy to source, a nice fitting good looking hood is another story!

i had 7 tiger barbs they turned out nasty little things as they were growing bigger i loved the fish 2 very active funny little charactors didnt wanna get rid of them but they killed my dalmation molly 3 guppies and had a go at all my other fish including angel fish so i would not reccomend putting them in with anything with fins on slow moving at all mine ended up hunting like dogs surrounding fish ready to pounce

Back
Top Bottom