Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Tiger Barbs

I just set up my 55 gallon tank and I bought nine tiger barbs for the tank because they are supposed to be more passive the larger the school. I bought a blue gourami and 6 Julii Cory Catfish and the Tiger Barbs are picking on them like crazy. Will this stop? Are they just getting used to the new tank? I debating on returning them because I really want other fish and not just Tiger Barbs.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

that is disturbing because I was thinking of using Tiger barbs for a 120 I am setting up and I had heard the same thing about the larger the school the less aggressive. It is ashame because they are a pretty fish.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

so do update the situation if they mellow out.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmifland
I just set up my 55 gallon tank and I bought nine tiger barbs for the tank because they are supposed to be more passive the larger the school. I bought a blue gourami and 6 Julii Cory Catfish and the Tiger Barbs are picking on them like crazy. Will this stop? Are they just getting used to the new tank? I debating on returning them because I really want other fish and not just Tiger Barbs.
Tiger barbs are known for that.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a group of 10 tiger barbs in my tank and whilst keeping them in larger groups can curb they're nippyness it is by no means a guarantee. The previous owner of my tank had an angel fish in there and one barb in particular would go out of it's way to find the poor thing and harass it. We moved the angel to my mother in laws tank, his fins were proper nipped so we had no other choice. Since then they have kept themselves to themselves pretty much but my advice would be not to put any fish with flowing fins or dangly whassnames (like gourami have, don't know what they're properly called) in with tigers, it's tempting providence imo. Saying that I love my barbs and now I don't have flowy dangly fish they are fine.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

We bought four angels, three gouramis and a beta. Hopefully when they try and mess with them they get their butt kicked and they calm down a bit. I will update the situation.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmifland View Post
In a new tank TigerBarbs can still show their aggression, even in a large shoal ... it's the nature of the beast unfortunately. However what tends to happen as the TB's adjust to their new surroundings is they will slowly put their attention towards each other in attempts to establish dominance of their shoal and be the top of the totem pole. Unfortunately, this could also mean that the smallest TB may end up at the bottom and be bullied. Give them another day or two and see how they do.

BTW adding Angels and Bettas may only worsen the TB's behavior ... fish with big fins is like putting a T-bone steak in front of a hungry dog The Gouramis may also start to show aggression towards each other.

Keep us posted ... hopefully your comeback saying all is good.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
We bought four angels, three gouramis and a beta. Hopefully when they try and mess with them they get their butt kicked and they calm down a bit. I will update the situation.

no offence, but there is sooooooo many things wrong with your setup!
Tiger barbs with angelfish and bettas? incompatible!

you are also waaaay overstocked for a 55gallon
4 angels
4 gouramis
9 tiger barbs
6 julii cories
1 betta

I would personally remove the 9 tiger barbs/1 betta
Old 08-28-2011, 02:38 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Everything is fine now. The tiger barbs were moved to a 20 gallon tank before we placed in the new fish.

6 Julii Cory Catfish
1 Betta
4 Angels
5 Neon Tetras
3 Black Skirt Tetras
5 Glow Tetras
5 Black Tetras
2 Sailfin Mollies
4 Gouramis

None of the fish are fighting and nothing has died. They are still getting used to the tank and all test on the water and coming along perfectly. Once the fish get a bit bigger some may be moved.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

First in foremost you are very overstocked regardless of there size. You also have to worry about bioload. What kind of filtration do you have? Chance are its too heavy of a bioload for your filter and that will lead to various problems. IMO the Betta is a horrible fish for that tank it will fin nip and be nipped at by the majority of the fish in the tank. The angels when they get bigger are more than likely to eat the neons. The black skirt tetras are a school fish along with your other tetras and you should have at least 6 to help with stress and nipping. If the sailfin Molly are M and F you may have some aggression issues if they are not at least 2 F: 1M. You need to remember that not having any deaths is not a measure of the compatibility of the fish. Maybe not today or tomorrow but down the road it is more than likely you will have problems with that tank the way it is.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Everything is fine now. The tiger barbs were moved to a 20 gallon tank before we placed in the new fish.

6 Julii Cory Catfish
1 Betta
4 Angels
5 Neon Tetras
3 Black Skirt Tetras
5 Glow Tetras
5 Black Tetras
2 Sailfin Mollies
4 Gouramis

None of the fish are fighting and nothing has died. They are still getting used to the tank and all test on the water and coming along perfectly. Once the fish get a bit bigger some may be moved.
You are WAY to overstocked. 4 Angels shouldn't even be in there by themselves IMO. I honselty don't know how your fish can even swim. Everything is not fine.

GuppyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

You guys I think you're overreacting a bit, he did say he would move the fish when they were bigger.

For now, it is quite overstocked, but if you stick to your previous statement I think you'll be fine.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Any other comments on the tiger barbs/gourami combo? Was chatting to others and it has been suggested as a possibility for an Asian Biotope theme?
Old 08-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've got two pearls in my tank in conjunction with my barbs. The barbs ignore the pearls and vise versa. The barbs hang out together and the pearls do their own thing. They are fine in my tank.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997 View Post
You guys I think you're overreacting a bit, he did say he would move the fish when they were bigger.

For now, it is quite overstocked, but if you stick to your previous statement I think you'll be fine.
That was an edit, it was not there when I posted.

GuppyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

IMO even if they are all juvenile he is quite overstocked its not the size as I said it is the bioload a fluvial 405 wouldn't even cover that bioload. They shouldn't have been put together in the first place though we all no its a little late for that. Its not overacting to be honest. I didn't say "TAKE THEM ALL BACK" or anything I'm pointing out some serious problems for his tank with what is best for the fish in mind not what is best for the Aquarium owner.

Tags
barb, barbs, tiger, tiger barbs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com