Tiger barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ewan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Tank mates for tiger barbs. A bit of a vague question but throw some fish names at me. Thanks

Barbs are schooling fishes. You can keep 6 or more to minimise their aggression when kept with other fishes . Why not keep it an all barb species tank with Albino, tiger, green barbs.please do not keep long flowing fins like betta , they are fin nippers. Else you can add pleco , cory , loaches etc .

How big is the tank? Tetras like bleeding heart or serpae tetras could work.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Also, tiger barbs are active fish and a school needs at least a 36 inch tank. As far as tankmates are concerned, tiger barbs are notorious fin nippers, so avoid fish with long fins like angels or bettas. I would also avoid very slow swimming fish for the same reason. A good number of gouramis, tetras, Plecos, loaches, other barbs are all appropriate choices.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

75 UK gallons

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What about pearl cichlid

75 UK gallons

90 US gallons. They should be quite cheerful with that much space. What else do you have in mind for the tank? Do you already have the barbs?

Yer I have 10 tiger barbs and 12 Denison barbs I was just wondering about the tiger barbs because they fin nip a lot

It is heavily planted with Val's crypts Amazon sword and trying to get a Madagascar lace plant

Yer I have 10 tiger barbs and 12 Denison barbs I was just wondering about the tiger barbs because they fin nip a lot

Well you certainly have options with a tank that size. They barbs fin nip people put them in with fish that have long fins. As long as their tankmates don't have super decorative fins they should be fine, especially with a school of 10

Would a Peale cichlid work in their

Pearl not Peale

Ok

Totally forgot about red tails I've always liked them might have to get one

Yeah... RTS is one of those "you never know" fish.
The advice I had always heard was to get them young and add them last. Otherwise they tend to try and claim the whole aquarium as their territory.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah... RTS is one of those "you never know" fish.
The advice I had always heard was to get them young and add them last. Otherwise they tend to try and claim the whole aquarium as their territory.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mine did that regardless of being added last and being the smallest fish in the tank. Now that all of my fish are similar in size it is very peaceful. My shark even eats flakes from the feeding station with my kissing gourami.

Back
Top Bottom