Tiger Barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqualung1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Currently have a 10 gallon tank with (5) 1" or less in size tiger barbs and a red tail shark, about 2" in size. Wondering when and if I will need to get a bigger tank and how big?

10 Gallon Tank
Marineland 200 Empire HOB
Water Heater set at 76 Degrees
50% PWC once a week
1 Live Plant, not sure what it is

This isnt my first venture into fish keeping, but it has been quite a while and I have never had tiger barbs or a red tail shark.

Aqualung1

I'm going to say you will definatley need a bigger tank soon... for the shark and the barbs. I would get one ASAP, but thats just me. Once the barbs hit about 2" and the shark hits 3", then get at lest a 30gal...

Welcome to AA, aqualung1! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

To answer your first question, very soon!

Red tail sharks grow to be about 6 inches - often reaching 4 inches within a year.
http://www.plantedtank.net/fishprofiles/Red-Tailed-Shark-Epalzeorhynchus-bicolor/77/
They are very active swimmers and need lots of room to thrive. A 10 gal tank just isn't big enough. These fish are generally peaceful toward other fish, but are merciless toward their own. Stick with one unless you plan on getting 55 gal or larger.

Tiger barbs are really fun fish to have. They are colorful and very active. However, they are very nippy toward other fish and each other. The nippiness can be kept to a minimum by keeping large groups. A group of at least 5 is recommended, although 8 or more is ideal. These fish can grow over 2 inches in good conditions, so just five would completely stock a 10 gal.

To answer your second question, think about getting at least a 29 gal. You would be able to keep the shark, 6 - 8 tiger barbs, and maybe a dwarf ancistrus or a trio of dwarf corys. If you can spare the room and the cash, consider a 55 gal which will give you so many more options.

I agree with everything said. I have a school of 11 tigers, all are just under 2''. They are temporarily in a 20g (they didn't play nice with the other fish in the 55g), but will soon be upgraded to at least a 30.

They are mean little guys, mostly to each other, but will quickly gang up on a fish that can't defend itself. They are also very active in their chasing, and need a lot of space to swin around

Sorry to be a party pooper (lol!) but I disagree: red tailed (we are talking 'tailed' here, and not 'finned' right?) sharks are aggressive to all other fish, not just their own species.
I've even had one beat up a bunch of Malawi cichlids I attempted to house it with, who are well known for their own ability to defend themselves! This particular fish is now residing in my temporary breeder tank.
I would say these fish are not suitable for community tanks, even taking into account I may just have a particularly grumpy individual.

Red finned on the other hand, are. Aka rainbow sharks, they are much more peaceful and I believe people have even successfully housed them with their own kind which is normally a bad idea (esp. with red tailed).

Thanks for the input from all of you, it is a red tail shark and yes he has a tendency to be aggressive toward the barbs. He mostly stays hidden under a deco pc. that resembles an old bridge, but when he comes out he will chase the barbs to the top of the tank.

I do in fact have a 55 gallon from a previous set up that has been sitting around for about 2 years, so I'll probably get that set up, just not right away.

I was hoping to eventually set that up for Clown Loaches, yes I know that is a small tank for them, but before my move about 2 years ago we had managed to keep 6 of them in that tank and they were doing extremely well, so well in fact that I was on the verge of purchasing a 120 Gallon. However 3 kids later, my wife decided that our home wasnt big enough, and unfortunately that led to the downfall of the Clown Loaches, in other words they didnt survive the 2 hour ride to our new home.

Fortunately my kids remember the Clown Loaches really well and stay on there mom to get that tank set up again with those fish, 'meaning the Clown Loaches '!!

Back
Top Bottom