Tiger barbs and angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

875mill

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone ever had any luck having tigerbarbs and angels in the same tank?
2 years ago i was running 1 angels with 6 tiger barbs in a 20 gal. and didn't have any problems what so ever. If anything the angles fish was bulling the barbs, but only when i first introduced them to the tank. after that they were fine. Was i just lucky or has anyone else had luck with this combo?

I've never tried it personally but I am suprised that the angel bullied the barb. The barbs can be quite nippy. I guess it would depend on the individual fish, you could try it and keep an eye on it and if there was aggression, either return one type of fish or get another tank. :D

They say if you have a big enough school of tiger barbs then they will leave the angels alone. I tried a school of 12.. 6 tiger barbs and 6 albino tiger barbs with my angels and they still nipped at my angels! HOwever it could be that i like to slightly overstock my tank.. i don't know, but thats my experience.

my friend successfully has about 6 tiger barbs and 2 full grown angels. they get along fine, no nipping in either direction - and her tank is VERY full.

IMHO.. its not a good mix.. I would avoid it..
perportions and shooling it doesnt matter both species personalities are not condusive to cohabitation..

my neighbor also has 6 tiger barbs with her 4 angelsgish in a 30 gal and they dont nip at all...

I have 3 Albino Tigers (survivors of 7 from a bad batch) with an Angel and they cant be bothered with the Angel.

From my experience, you need.........
A nice size school.
A lot of swimming room for the barbs

Keep both of those and you shouldn't have any problems. Each individual fish is different though as I'm sure you know.

Back
Top Bottom