Tiger Barbs and compatability???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolkidthatlike

Aquarium Advice Activist
hello, i have 4 tiger barbs and 4 albino tiger barbs in my tank. I have read a few things that says they are pretty aggresive, and dont know what else would be safe to have in there. Please give me some ideas, i am open to anything.

OK. I have four tiger barbs in my ten gallon tank. They can be agressive. I tried to put an angel fish in with them, but within an hour they began to nip it's fins, so I had to remove it. I have heard people say that platies can go with barbs, but I haven't tried this myself.

You definately want to avoid long finned fish, such as bettas, as their fins will be constantly picked on (or should I say off? :D )

I have also heard that Zebra Danios do ok, since they are fast swimmers, but again, I've not tried this with mine.

In case you were wondering why I've heard so much, I've started topics like yours before. I didn't get any suggestions that I really wanted to try, so my barbs are still by themselves, except for my spotted ralphael catfish, which will work with pretty much any fish.

I guess the only thing I could suggest that I personally know will work is bottom feeders. There are nice Plecos and catfish that the barbs will leave alone. I like my catfish, but he's nocturnal, so I hardly ever see him. There are more visiable species. Try a cory or two.

You could also try any of the sharks (bala, red finned, etc). They can get big, but I don't think the barbs will pick on them too much.

yeah, actually i was just going to try a red finned shark in with them. I think the red fin sharks are really neat and hope the barbs leave them alone.
thanks

I had some barbs with zebra danios and it wasn't a problem but the barbs had to go when they started persecuting my angels. Some books say if you keep 9 or 10 barbs its not a problem because they fight amongst themselves and leave the other fish alone. I had 9 but it didn't work in my tank.

I'm thinking about a second tank and just having barbs in it, because I really like them (tigers, mossys and blonds especially).

well, i heard that they nip at the fins of long finned fish, and angel fish have pretty long fins. I think the reason that they did leave your danios alone is because there was 9. but any long finned fish is not a good tankmate. i heard sharks work good.

Back
Top Bottom