Tiger Barbs and Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SPAIN

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have got the tank up and running and I am using Goldfish to start off with. My question is can Tiger Barbs co-exist with Goldfish?

Any suggestions for tank mates would be appreciated.

The tiger barbs will pester the goldfish and nip at their fins constantly. Some people will tell you that tiger barbs keep to themselves if kept in a group of 6 or more, but my experience is that anything with long fins is too irresistable for them to ignore... I tried putting mine with some long-finned rosy barbs and I had to take the rosies out of the tank before they got hurt! Tiger barbs work well with other more aggressive or fast fish with short fins. I have mine with some white clouds and a rainbow shark.

Goldfish prefer cooler water than most tropicals, although white clouds do well with cool water too...

Goldfish should generally be kept in a species only tank (although mine get along very well with a pleco). If they are ornamental goldies, they are actually happier in near-tropical temps. This doesn't mean they'll do well in a community tank though....goldfish are very curious and very messy...which pretty much guarantees that they'll piss off anybody who's in the tank with them, and they'll get their fins nipped to pieces.

Goldfish and Tiger Barbs are a definite NO NO!

Firstly they require to different water temps, and secondly the Tiger Barbs will rule the roost and harass the Goldfish.

Not a good mixture at all.

I have to figure out another fish for my tank... I'm going to the store today to look for maybe a pleco or a shubakin.

tiger barbs and goldfish

Tiger barbs and goldfish living in the same tank together will have different outcomes, it will depends on the size of your fish, the aggression, and what species of goldfish is it. I have a 1 inch comment living with 4 half an inch Tiger barbs in a heated tank for almost a year and there has been no conflicts between the fish and zero deaths. If they goldfish don't work then try; Red tail, Rainbow, or Bala sharks.

To all the people who think that goldfish are cold water, goldfish more likely to get bladder disease in cold water. That is why I keep my goldfish in tropical temperatures.

Best of luck,
fish keeper 101

29g ?
That's enough room barely for 2 Fancy Goldfish and nothing else.

They need lots of room to grow and very clean water. Lots of filtration and large water changes.

Fancy Goldfish are the Discus of the temperate tank.

A bigger tank is better if you want GF.
A 75g can house 3 with large weekly water changes.

I would never recommend Tiger Barbs with flowing GF fins.

Species only is best with Fancies and no floating food.

Back
Top Bottom