Tiger Barbs and Serpae Tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cee219

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 55g is still cycling, but I'm already looking forward to my next tank project, a 30 gallon tiger barb tank (seeing as I caught that incurable "I can handle just one more tank" disease). While I'd be fine having a school of 10-12 Tiger barbs in it, I thought I'd like to add some other fish. I think I read on here that Serpae Tetras, since they are kind of fiesty, would make good mates for Tiger Barb, is this true?

If anyone has any other suggestions to something great to put with Tiger Barbs, advice is appreciated.

Well I have never kept them but everything I have readf indicates they are more than capable of taking care of themselves. I would recommend getting the largest possible schools of each you can manage that way they ought to expend their energies on each other.

tiger barbs can hit 3" as adults, so be careful about overstocking/crowding the tank.

Honestly, I'm not sure 30g is enough. Tiger barbs aren't that aggressive...but are VERY active swimmers. As long as you have at least 6, they'll keep to themselves in terms of chasing and nipping.

Remember that there are standard tigers, albino, and green...they'll all school together, and the combination of all 3 will add a lot more color to the tank.

Thanks for youu input. I may take your advice and do more of a variety of Tiger Barbs rather than try and fit in Serpaes.

Back
Top Bottom