Tiger barbs are missing tails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bham_lion

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all
I have a question about my tiger barbs tank and would appreciate any advice. My tank is a 30 gallon tiger barb tank with ~8 tiger barbs and one pleco. One thing I notice is that there is always at least one tiger barb having it's tail partly missing. I am pretty sure that it is being beaten by other fish. But I wonder how I can prevent this from happening?
Thanks

They're notorious fin nippers but a larger tank certainly will help. Keep your water conditions good and the fins will heal just fine.

Hi all
I have a question about my tiger barbs tank and would appreciate any advice. My tank is a 30 gallon tiger barb tank with ~8 tiger barbs and one pleco. One thing I notice is that there is always at least one tiger barb having it's tail partly missing. I am pretty sure that it is being beaten by other fish. But I wonder how I can prevent this from happening?
Thanks

Just to clarify .. Is it the same Barb that is constantly having it's tail nipped ... or does it go from Barb to Barb? ... If so sounds like a bunch of fighting / nipping for dominance of the shoal. I agree with Hukit a larger tank will help ... but really your Barbs are just being Barbs.

If it's the same fish constantly having it's fins nipped ... it's probably being bullied by the others and needs to be rehomed IMO. The constant stress of being bullied could lead it to get sick.

jcolon said:
Just to clarify .. Is it the same Barb that is constantly having it's tail nipped ... or does it go from Barb to Barb? ... If so sounds like a bunch of fighting / nipping for dominance of the shoal. I agree with Hukit a larger tank will help ... but really your Barbs are just being Barbs.

If it's the same fish constantly having it's fins nipped ... it's probably being bullied by the others and needs to be rehomed IMO. The constant stress of being bullied could lead it to get sick.

Hi jcolon, mostly it was the same barb, which is usually the smallest one, having the missing tail. If I remove (separate) the one with missing tail using a divider, there will be immediately another one starting to have the missing tail. It seems there is always one that needs to be bullied in the tank. Usually, the smallest one will die if the tail is almost completely nipped. But recently, I find there has been exceptions: two barbs with missing tails have been fine for a long time and one of them even gradually has its tail growing back. I do suspect that it has something to do with the size of my tank.
Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom