Tiger Barbs Fighting/Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dxs2104

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Recently 1 of my normal tiger barbs has been chasing the another relentlessly. When they catch up to each other the male seems to push the female at her side with his nose. I assume the one that is chasing is a male, and the one being chased is the female (she has a huge belly compared to the others). My question is are they trying to breed or just fighting and should I QT the aggressor in this case? (would give me a reason to pick up a 10g at Petco for $10, its oh so tempting)

A little bit of background: Last Saturday I completely rearranged the decorations in the tank and Sunday I picked up a kribensis (hes doing great). The largest tiger barb in my tank, an Albino, seems to be acting as a mediator at times, chasing the male away from the female, but showing no interest in the female. Tank parameters look normal.

How many total barbs do you have? In smaller numbers they will be more aggressive, the larger the number the more the aggression is spread out. They also might be reestablishing territories since their were broken up.

Also, do you really need a reason to buy another tank? lol

How many total barbs do you have? In smaller numbers they will be more aggressive, the larger the number the more the aggression is spread out. They also might be reestablishing territories since their were broken up.

Also, do you really need a reason to buy another tank? lol

Thats my bet!!

I have 6 Tiger barbs (3 regular, 2 albino, 1 green).

Im having a bit of trouble sexing them though. Could it be that there is only one female? I could see that being a problem... Maybe I need to plant my tank more? It's a little underplanted

Just a bit nervous with the behavior of these guys changing so quickly.

I also have tiger barbs, and I've heard the females are fatter. Only way I know of to sex them. 6 should be a good school. If your tank can hold it, I'd get more tiger barbs to calm them down.

Back
Top Bottom