Tiger barbs Gone wild please help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbimflyer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone I have a big problem... I have two 55 Gals the 1st one I have tiger barbs, silver dollars, zebra Danios, Gouramis, Kuhli loaches, tetras and it works fine as they all Get along. But in my 2nd 55 Gal I have 4 tiger Barbs, a RT shark, 4 Gouramis, pleco, Buenos aires, Emerald cats, panda cories, Dwarf Loaches and hillstream Loaches. So to get to the problem, the tiger barbs are harrassing each other which is normal... but now they have started nipping one of the smaller Gouramis to pieces, chasing my cories around like in a bullying annoying manner, and chasing the other blue Gourami but not able to nip him. The Golden Gouramis are Bigger and the Tetras are crazy themselves so they are all ok with the Barbs. Ofcourse the pleco doesnt acknowledge them, and they steer clear of the shark. But they are harrassing the catfish and cories which I have never even expected, and even poked at a hillstream loach which most fish don't even bother with... so I am shocked as to the personalities of atleast what seems to be 2 of these Barbs. Long story short they have to Go. I've had my Cories for years and even had a successful baby born and raised when they were in my old 29 Gal, so they have priority. The problem is that I cant catch the barbs in my planted 55 Gal... they're way Quick and elusive. Anyone know what's the Best way to Get them out?!! I don't want to destroy the setup and upset the other fish too much trying to Get them. Please help.

I don't know if this would work but could you try catching them at night when its dark using like a dim night light. Or when you feed them and they come up to eat, maybe you could scoop quick? Those are the only things I can think of at the moment. Alison

I don't know if this would work but could you try catching them at night when its dark using like a dim night light. Or when you feed them and they come up to eat, maybe you could scoop quick? Those are the only things I can think of at the moment. Alison

Thanks, I've thought of scooping them when they come up to feed, but what has Deterred me from trying it is unfortunately the other fish all come up too. :(

Maybe when you do a water change and the water is lower?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can pick others out of the net?
We always use two nets and two people. One net sits and waits the other net heards them in. Be patient and wait for them.

You can pick others out of the net?
We always use two nets and two people. One net sits and waits the other net heards them in. Be patient and wait for them.

That sounds Like a Good idea, I'd have to use 2 hands 2 nets myself... My wife ain't helping me with that. Lol

If you can't get them out, add more Tiger Barbs. It spreads the aggression and keeps them busy with each other.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought about that but what if It Doesn't help, then I have even more Barbs to Get out of there. :banghead:

Well are the fish in the other tank easier to catch? Switch the fish from that tank (other barbs and the other fish) into this tank and pull out the other tetras and fish into that tank?

Well are the fish in the other tank easier to catch? Switch the fish from that tank (other barbs and the other fish) into this tank and pull out the other tetras and fish into that tank?

Not that easy, the tanks are literally miles apart.

I have found the best way is with the water change and take everything you can out of the tank. And use the 2 nets idea. Good luck, it can get stressful for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I tried the feeding idea and that seemed to work but I was only able to Get one, so i had to put him back because I couldn't Get the other 3 before the light went off for their Bedtime. :(

You have hillstream loach in a heated tank?! I thought they do better in cold water.

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom