Tiger Barbs in 8.0pH. Is it okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliverosuna

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My pH has been a steady 8.0 during the cycling process and continues to stay at 8.0 one week after the cycle finished. My question:Is it okay to keep Tiger Barbs and Otocinclus' in a tank with a pH of 8.0?

Tiger barbs should be ok, but the oto cats, probably won't fare too well, as they are more fragile. How big is the tank? Try adding a couple pieces of driftwood, and watch the ph for a couple weeks. My tap here is 7.8. I have driftwood in both my 26G and my 55G, and the ph in both are about 7.2. Will occasionally see 7.0, but stable at 7.2. Will go to 7.4-7.6 after PWC, but will then slowly drift back down to 7.2.

They should be fine. I'm at 8.2 with Angels, German Blue Rams, and Rummies. As long as they were acclimated properly, pH is not a big deal unless you are wanting to breed.

Lonewolfblue said:
Tiger barbs should be ok, but the oto cats, probably won't fare too well, as they are more fragile. How big is the tank? Try adding a couple pieces of driftwood, and watch the ph for a couple weeks. My tap here is 7.8. I have driftwood in both my 26G and my 55G, and the ph in both are about 7.2. Will occasionally see 7.0, but stable at 7.2. Will go to 7.4-7.6 after PWC, but will then slowly drift back down to 7.2.

I have a 20 gallon tank.

Will a piece of drift wood continually keep my pH lower or do the effects of the wood wear off eventually?

It will eventually wear off, but as Fishy said the PH is not that bad I wouldn't worry at it. The driftwood is a great idea. It is my favorite decoration after plants. The darker imported woods will have more of an effect.

Fishyfanatic said:
They should be fine. I'm at 8.2 with Angels, German Blue Rams, and Rummies. As long as they were acclimated properly, pH is not a big deal unless you are wanting to breed.

You think the the Otocinclus should do okay as well?

Yup, I think they will be fine. Too much thought is put into pH from employees at the lfs. It's not a big deal unless it is insanely high or insanely low or you are trying to breed.

Back
Top Bottom