Tiger barbs or Dwarf Puffers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TyAdams2211

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am relatively new to fish keeping but my first tank has been successful for the most part although its only one fish. Anyways, I bought a 20g tank and am debating either putting a school of 8 or 9 tiger barbs in it or 2-3 dwarf puffers. Which one would be better to have? I have done research and found that you shouldn't mix the two, but a friend down the street has a 25g with a dwarf puffer, 6 tiger barbs, and an African Dwarf Frog; these don't sound like compatible fish, but he's had the same exact community for 2 years now and all that has went wrong was the death of a 7th tiger barb who didn't make it past the first month, which was probably due to water conditions. I know its not suggested but what do you guys think: Tiger barbs or dwarf puffers or both?

I am relatively new to fish keeping but my first tank has been successful for the most part although its only one fish. Anyways, I bought a 20g tank and am debating either putting a school of 8 or 9 tiger barbs in it or 2-3 dwarf puffers. Which one would be better to have? I have done research and found that you shouldn't mix the two, but a friend down the street has a 25g with a dwarf puffer, 6 tiger barbs, and an African Dwarf Frog; these don't sound like compatible fish, but he's had the same exact community for 2 years now and all that has went wrong was the death of a 7th tiger barb who didn't make it past the first month, which was probably due to water conditions. I know its not suggested but what do you guys think: Tiger barbs or dwarf puffers or both?

TyAdams2211,
Here's a couple good reads you might find interesting:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/will-a-dwarf-puffer-work-in-a-tigerbarb-tank-74084.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/starting-some-dwarf-puffers-but-33504.html

Dennis

Dennis: noted, apparently they can be a little bit vicious haha thank you :).

I'm just wondering how my neighbor was able to keep the DP with the tiger barbs. Everyone says on here that certain fish will not go together but have they ever tried it? I mean I know its not a "compatible" set up and I'm not trying to be ignorant or anything I'm just wondering has anyone experimented with supposedly "incompatible" fish and had no problems, because I know of several cases. Once again I'm not attempting to directly criticize anyone I'm just wondering? :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom