Tiger Oscar Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaquero

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a new addition to the tank families. A 4" Tiger Oscar that is in it's own tank, ( 10 gal) sanded bottom and two Black Convicts. I have also added 20 Giant Danios Fry about 3/4" long for feeders to the Oscar. Question I have is will he eat them as he gets hungry, or just have a free for all. I haven't seen a mass execution, but three to four Danios have been eaten most of the way. I thought Oscars were voracious eaters and didn't expect to see any fry alive today, but I was wrong. Should I leave the fry in the tank, or take them out and feed them to him a few at a time????? Please help When I get my newer 60-90 Gallon tank, they will be going into that one, so the 10 is a temp tank.

Do you still have the angels and cats in that tank? And when are you planning to give your Oscar an upgrade in tank size?

If you do still have the angels then I'm extremely surprised you have any fry at all. If its just the Oscar then just give it a bit, he'll devour anything that can fit in its mouth.

Oscars need 75+ gallons for a solo and I wouldn't suggest a 60g at all since they're skinnier than a 55 which doesn't give much turn around for them

agh sorry bout some of the other posts mate. theres no help in them at all.

fistly oscars sulk they will go days and days with out eating or really even moving much if they are sulking gennerally it can take a few days for the oscar to snapp out of it however i once had one who sulked for a month. they do this for a few reasons ie bringing them home, cleaning the tank or moving the decor..... they are big softies they just need time

secondly a single oscar needs a 55g tank solo but since ur doing tankmates i would say 75+ but even then filtration will have to be about 10 X tank volume per hour. dont listn to people who say otherwise the only time i get concerened with stock levels is if the water quality suffers.

as far as feeders go i dont advocate there use, if u have bread them then its a diffrent story but genneraly the risk of parasites is to high but crickets etc are really good once the fish settles in

agh sorry bout some of the other posts mate. theres no help in them at all.

fistly oscars sulk they will go days and days with out eating or really even moving much if they are sulking gennerally it can take a few days for the oscar to snapp out of it however i once had one who sulked for a month. they do this for a few reasons ie bringing them home, cleaning the tank or moving the decor..... they are big softies they just need time

secondly a single oscar needs a 55g tank solo but since ur doing tankmates i would say 75+ but even then filtration will have to be about 10 X tank volume per hour. dont listn to people who say otherwise the only time i get concerened with stock levels is if the water quality suffers.

as far as feeders go i dont advocate there use, if u have bread them then its a diffrent story but genneraly the risk of parasites is to high but crickets etc are really good once the fish settles in
Setting up 75 gallon with a aqueon power 55 filter, Danios raised from eggs so nothing wrong with them.

I just put the Oscar into my 55 gallon, and took out the adult danios and most of the fry. I figured I had to lower the bio load or at least even it out. He is much happier now and has lots of room to move and turn around. The Bala's and Gouramis are fine with the addition and the Oscar doesn't even care they are around.

Back
Top Bottom