Time to stock my 75 gallon! Need your help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Makaveli

Aquarium Advice Regular
The time has finally come. Took a couple months to set everything up and get it cycled, but I've now got a fully cycled, empty 75 gallon I need to stock (Used Eco's amazing guide for fishless cycling and it worked to perfection). I've got a sump system going with plenty of filtration so that won't be an issue.

I know for sure that I want :
4 or 6 angels (want to keep an even number)
10 or so cardinal tetras

I know that leaves plenty of room for others, but I'm not really sure what else to go for. I was thinking about corys, gouramis, and rams, maybe even some ottos.

If you guys could just list some set-up ideas for this 75 gallon community I'd very much appreciate it! I plan on starting the stocking as early as tomorrow!

(y)

First of all when those Angels grow up they will most definitely have a healthy snack of cardinals . Here is what I would stock 4 Angels
3 SAE's ( make sure they aren't all male)
2'or 3 small loaches maybe Kihei
A pair of Rams maybe or smaller apistos

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Anything that an angel can eat it WILL eat

First of all when those Angels grow up they will most definitely have a healthy snack of cardinals . Here is what I would stock 4 Angels
3 SAE's ( make sure they aren't all male)
2'or 3 small loaches maybe Kihei
A pair of Rams maybe or smaller apistos

This is long debated. Studies have shown(with the close cousin, neon tetras) that if the angel grows up from a juvenile with the neons/Cardinals they are far less likely to get eaten. Also keeping the Angels well fed helps.

Caleb

Thanks for the input! I've seen plenty of instances where cardinal tetras are fine with angels. Neons probably not, but cardinals can work. Might lose one every once in a great while but I do believe it'll be fine.

As for stocking, do some rainbowfish! They are often overlooked and are beautiful and active! There's also plenty of species to choose from that vary in color. They get around 6 inches and will definitely add tons of color along with the Angels to the tank. Like many fish, the vibrancy of their color comes with age.

I have turquoise, New Guinea, and a boesmani pair in my 75g

Male boesmani
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434405003.179931.jpg

Turquoise
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434405111.840789.jpg

Caleb

Ya I've heard of some cases where Angels and neons do get along but with 4 6 Angels most likely they will have different behaviors and food preferences just wanted to be on the safe side to save you some money and sadness.. But if you're sure its your choice so Ya do what you want!

That's funny you mention the rainbows...I was just looking into them and the Boesemani Rainbows really caught my attention. Only thing that is kind of holding me back from definitely picking up a couple is the difference in KH preference. My water's perfect for angels (about 3-5) and I saw that the rainbows prefer harder water at about 10+. How much do you think that would matter?

That's funny you mention the rainbows...I was just looking into them and the Boesemani Rainbows really caught my attention. Only thing that is kind of holding me back from definitely picking up a couple is the difference in KH preference. My water's perfect for angels (about 3-5) and I saw that the rainbows prefer harder water at about 10+. How much do you think that would matter?

Honestly I've hardly payed attention to KH. It's been a while since I've even tested for it. As long as it's not some extreme number pretty sure you will be fine

Caleb

I have angels and rainbows together, and have found it to be a great combination, and probably the favorite of my tanks (and I have several!).

IMO
Only 2 angels will last long term so ...
Get 4 or 6 and be prepared to re home all but 2 or watch/find them dead.
I have angels ,cards,cories,rummynose,clown loaches and roselines in my 180.
The angels mostly messed with each other (had 6 )but now I have only 2 left(over aprox 2-3 years) we will see how bad they are?
The rainbows are great,love the boesemani ,look at irian red also.
Black neons are large tetras like serape,skirt,and emperors if the angels eating them is really a concern,but if you get juvi angels this should not be an issue before "other things".
Congrats on cycling and research!!!
Sounds like are ALL ready for the ENJOY part !
ENJOY!

Coral you're right 1/3 angelfish I've had have stayed with me long. If you get six angelfish odds are you wont come out with all of them unless you get a very good,reputable breeder

I also say that you should strongly consider getting some type of rainbows. Boesemani Rainbows are my favorite by far. I have had them in my 75g with angels for a couple years now and all is good. The KH shouldn't be a problem.

You should also look into some type of bottom feeder. Just be careful with loaches some can be very aggressive and fun nippy. I think Khuli loaches would be a fun addition :) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434413019.778991.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434413040.248135.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks all for the responses! Those pictures posted above of the rainbowfish have convinced me to get a couple! I'm actually going to head off to the LFS right now and start my stocking. Keep the ideas coming though please! I'll be back to the store for some more tomorrow I'm sure.

Sounds great man gl and keep us updated with pictures of fish plants and tank

Pangio Kuhli, Angelicus botia, or yoyo's would be perfect.

Edit: no botia species with snails though. It will be loach snacks.

Caleb

If you are getting rainbows, you should get at least 5 (preferably of the same kind): they are a schooling fish.

I just got back from the LFS...so I had been considering a different stocking option for quite some time now. I ended up going a different route than the angels. I've got great quality water here and I felt the time was right to go for it. Will post pictures of what I ended up going with tomorrow! :fish2::fish2:

I'm excited to see what you ended up with. Pictures please :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom