timidity of cherry barbs: need a group?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

astroguy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I introduced a pair of cherry barbs in the 29g tank yesterday. They seem shy (as I expected), and are sometimes a bit picked by the serpae tetrae. Before I took them home, I looked at websites and noticed that it was not very clear whether this kind of barbs need to stay in groups or not. That's the reason why I took 2 only (I am a bit on the overcrowding side...). However, as they seem very shy in my tank, I wonder whether another pair would make them more happy.

What's the experience here at AA?

I was under the impression that barbs (regardless of type) liked to be in groups, but I have no experience with them.

Between my tank and my fathers, I have seen Barbs in groups of 2, 4, 5, and 6 at various times. I think Cherry Barbs like to be in bigger numbers, but even then they have their own space most of the time and do not necessarily school all the time. When I see Cherries as just a pair they usually seem to stick in the the plants if there are any other fish around. Once the numbers increase, Barbs usually swim around in groups of two or three at a time, but when frightened they will school together is a small area.

Compared to other fish, I would call my cherry barbs loners....a bit shy. You should actually keep them 2 females to one male (this will keep his color bright, although I ended up with 2M:2F and things are OK). Mine will school from time to time, but not as much as other fish. They don't *need* to be in a big group (more than 3), but if your serpae (which were a bit agressive when I used to keep them) are picking on them to the point of fin damage, I would definitely add a few more. Oops, just noticed your said you were a bit overcrowded. In that case, I would recommend one more female and keep an eye on those serpae.

Back
Top Bottom