Tiny bubbles on my heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onebettanewbie

Aquarium Advice Regular
The past couple of weeks I've noticed tiny bubbles forming on my heater. I never had them before and the tank has been running for a year now. The only change I made recently, and it was about the same time the bubbles started, was to increase the flow of my Duetto 50 filter from the slowest speed to one notch faster (still slow). Could that have caused the bubbles? Are they a concern? I read that bubbles contain nitrogen and could cause popeye. Do I have a problem here? Should I slow the filter speed back down to the lowest rate? I increased it because I thought a little more water flow would be generally healthier.

i couldnt really confirm what the bubbles mean, and yes your right about the popeye. but if your tank was running ok with the way you had everything set before, then i would stick to your guns with that, dont take any risks unless you really need to. if you have fish that require a heavy water flow then increase the flow, but i would research the bubbles, and whats causeing them, before doin so.

I used a straw to get rid of the bubbles and will slow the water back down again this weekend when I do a water change. I don't get how a slightly increased flow of water from an internal filter would cause bubbles. I was hoping someone here might have some idea what is causing them.

Back
Top Bottom