Tiny white spots on rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

westernseashell

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I just came across this forum while doing research and I must say I am very happy to find you. :)

I have a well established (4 year old) 55 gallon freshwater aquarium. Other then the occasional floating green algae, my tank has been pretty healthy.

Currently in my tank:
5 albino cat corydoras (2 of the 5 were eggs that were spared and hatched last year)

2 nanus cat corydoras

2 plecostomus catfish

2 honey gouramis

4 tiger barbs

3 pictus catfish

1 small snail that hitchhiked on a plant several months ago

My newest addition:
A few days ago I had noticed about 20-30 small white dots scattered across the rocks of my aquarium and two of them ended up on the aquarium glass. None of these are on the live plants. They are a solid off white color. (same color as a sesame seed and a little smaller then a sesame seed) Hard, no spiral, no design, no gel, nothing. It looks like I scattered sesame seeds across the rocks, but you can't remove them unless by force. Are they fish eggs? Could they be snail eggs with only one snail? All help is appreciated! :D

Sorry I have no way to add a pic at the moment.

Sounds like nerite snail eggs. Is that the kind of snail you have? I know they seem like almost impossible to remove.

You've got baby snails!!
Your lone snail was getting freaky with itself...

Sounds like nerite snail eggs. Is that the kind of snail you have? I know they seem like almost impossible to remove.

I wasn't sure the variety of snail I had, but I looked up the nerite and that is indeed it and her eggs in my aquarium. Thank you susankat. I read the nerite snails are not hermaphrodites, so you need a female and a male to breed. Can these snails lay unfertilized eggs, or store sperm for a long period? My snail hasn't been exposed to another snail for months.

Last edited:
They will lay eggs no matter what. They also won't hatch in freshwater very often so no worries about over populating the tank. I have had one snail in one of my tanks for a couple of years and she is always laying eggs.

Resurrecting a really old thread here, but this is the same thing I have going on...

One nerite snail, and tons of eggs all over glass. Will some hatch? Is there an easy way to remove them? Any fish like to eat snail eggs?

Thx!

Back
Top Bottom